Saturday, 16 November 2013

Memories...............

Badagry town, door of civilization
First christianity and merchants the next
Then followed order and regulation
And yorubas with eguns were at rest.

For six years, that was what I chanted every morning at Badagry Grammar School( my secondary school); yesterday, I ran into some old students that finished before I was even born and the memories of secondary school hit me hard!
I remember the first day I resumed JSS1, I was so excited I was starting a whole new world, but alas! My joy was cut off immediately my mum finished the registration and left me all alone. It then dawned on me I was in the midst of strangers. I decided to go to my new class and as I marched across the green lawn, I heard "hey, stop there" I turned back and saw this "pankere" wielding teacher (Mr Oyekunle), as the fear of pankere especially thin ones was the beginning of wisdom, I started begging but he flogged me six strokes and told me never to cross the lawn. Immediately I got home, I told my mum I wasn't going to that school again but she laughed and lectured me on the difference between primary and secondry school.
When we sat for our second term examinations, I came second and I cried. I didn't cry because I came second but because a boy beat me to it! By the next term of course, I sat up and your guess is as good as mine.
Did I forget the day we were assigned seats and it was a boy and a girl per seat? You should have seen the looks on our faces as the belief was if you sat with a boy, it meant he was your husband (giggles) some of us even went as far as measuring and dividing our seat and table into two with the "don't pass your boundary" warning. I remember Abiola Busari was my seat mate and he was always crying because I made sure to always pass my boundary!
I remember my great friends: Chigozie Ogu, Adiele Nkechi, Ogwor Elohor, Okereke Chioma, Isujeh Toyin, Adama Esther, Robert Bodunrin, Okpala Uche, Biayeibo Preye, Amosu Tolani, Onyiye Egwudo, Bisi Adeyoyin, Kemi(always bullying me tho), Priscilla, Nnanna, Solomon, Spencer, Emmanuel John, Soji, Sodiq, Tope, okin Damilola, Seun Lawson and co, Odita Benjamin and co, Jennifer and Jeffery, tosin and co, bello and co, rosemary, delodun and co, melinda, ifelayo, prest, ibrahim, goke, man! Fond memories are rushing right now! I can't remember some people at the moment but trust me,I cherish the years we spent together. I still have that slum book from SS2! I read it and laugh! You all helped to mould me into who I am today.
How can I forget my teachers! Ms Machi! Boy! The Oral english and letter writing classes! How we hated them! Ma! The good english I speak today is because of you! Mr Ekeata that discovered my debating skills! He was always with us, till 6, preparing us for debates, Ms Onineh my biology mistress, mr Oyekunle that decorated my body with pankere. I won't mention the names of the others that were unecessarily wicked and all sha.
Am proud of my alma mater! Up BGS!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Lmao @ 'decorated my body with pankere'. The fear of pankere was real mehn!!!

    I think I had the most fun in my secondary days.

    Choi, but you sure had lots of friends oooo!!!

    Nice blog, I can totally relate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As in! Am sure I "ate" over 1000 strokes in secondary school because I was always getting into trouble! I had tons of friends back then girl!!!!!!! The fun was something else.
      Thanks for visiting my blog sweetheart! Don't forget to bookmark it. XOXO

      Delete
  2. my school secondary school till date are were some of the best days i have.
    i remember those jss 1 foolishness of sitting close to a boy and making a mark so that he does not cross it and you getting pregnant. lol
    beautifully written.
    XOXOXO

    ezechimereuchenna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister, you remember too? Maybe the teachers shouldn't have forced us to sit together.
      Thanks For the compliment

      Delete
  3. Lol...... Oh my God, i have laughed so much. Pankere.....hahaha. I went to a Military school and you should see the way it excited the Naval men to flog us. Even though i was tiny i always got collective strokes of the cane (punishment for offenses committed by a few members of the class and given to everybody in the class) and individual strokes of the cane (for my own crimes). Nice write up girl...

    journalofapetitediva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the class captain from JSS2-SS2 so trust I was always at the front chopping cane. Thanks dear

      Delete