Monday, 18 November 2013

My mother

Am sure all of us sang this beautiful rhyme in nursery school, thanks to Ann Taylor for composing such an evergreen piece and am reproducing it here. Enjoy!

Who fed me from her gentle breast
And hush'd me in her arms to rest
And on my cheeks sweet kisses prest?
My mother

When sleep forsook my open eyes
Who was it sung sweet hushbaby
And rocked me that I should not cry?
My mother

Who sat and watched my infant head
When sleeping on my cradle bed
And tears of sweet affection shed?
My mother

When pain and sickness made me cry
Who gazed upon my heavy eye
And wept for fear that I should die?
My mother

Who taught my infant lips to pray
And love God's holy book and day
And walk in wisdom pleasant ways?
My mother

And can I ever cease to be
Affectionate and kind to thee
Who was so very kind to me?
My mother

Ah! No the thought I cannot bear
And if God please my life to spare
I hope I shall reward thy care
My mother

When thou art feeble old and gray
My healthy arm shall be thy stay
And I will soothe thy pains away
My mother
I dedicate this to my mum, Adadioranma Susan Hundeyin, you gave me life, you've had to put up with me and my mischief all these years! I love you mama! Orisa bi iya kosi laiye!!!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

  1. A very nice poem. I see Fatima has found your blog. Nice....We should have a Nigerian bloggers meet up soon

    journalofapetitediva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah she has, thanks to you!
      Man! That sounds so exciting to me. Abeg let's start planning towards it *winks*

      Delete
  2. Hmmm. Feelings of nostalgia come over me. I recall my mum singing this song to me and my sister. Those were the annoying days when my mum dressed me and my sister in those ridiculous and co outfits. I must have had over a hundred. I wont embarrass my son (yet to be born tho ) in that manner. Lol. Thanks for taking me down memory lane amaka. Shout out to my mum who sat and watched my enfant head and other mothers who are doing same to their kids.

    Mr anonymous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol lol. The battle I fought with my mum was over mary amaka ball gowns! Choi! I cried for 95% of my sundays growing up because hated them!
      Mr anon, we need to walk down memory lane once in a while *winks*

      Delete