Thursday, 21 November 2013

The Law is a Ass

That Quote is from Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist in which Mr Bumble was informed that the law supposes that his wife acts under his directions and he said "the law is a ass, a idiot, if that's the eye of the law, the law is a bachelor, and the worst I wish the law is that its eye may be opened by experience - by experience"
I just had to give that background so we'll understand the post. Now back to my story; my neighbour planted lots of plantains and most of them are near our fence and we have had to contend with sweeping the leaves that fall into our compound, same for their mango tree that is right beside our front yard! You need to see how untidy our compound looks whenever the mango is flowering because no matter how often you sweep, the flowers never seem to stop shedding!
Now, the plantain is fruiting and the bunch of plantain is resting right inside our compound, leaning on our fence. So I asked my kid brother that if the plantain matures, who will cut it, and he said our neighbour! Man! That's so painful! So I'll just use my eyes to look at the plantain growing everyday for xyz months and the moment it is due to be harvested, the neighbours get to harvest it? What?
I asked my dad that okay, what if we go to court? He said since we weren't the ones who planted it, we can't harvest it! Man! The law is an ass!
So dear friends, shouldn't the law be changed? What do you think about some of the funny laws we live by?

9 comments:

  1. It should be changed....I frown at such nonsense.
    And if it cannot be changed, have the plantain to yourself, you worked for it i'd say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine that I'll just sweep the dirt and tend the plantain and then when it iss ripe my neighbour will come and cut it oh!
      Infact am monitoring it

      Delete
  2. It should be changed....I frown at such nonsense.
    And if it cannot be changed, have the plantain to yourself, you worked for it i'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the plaintain is ripe, pluck it! Let us see if he would come and disturb you guys over a plaintain bunch. The right thing is that he should allow you guys to have it since the tree has been a nuisance to you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trouble that plantain is causing in my neighbourhood ehn! The oda neighbour did something similar, omo see fight! Am monitoring the plantain sha. Hehe

      Delete
  4. I love plantain especially with beans. I know how it feels to have to stare at plantain constantly. But this is a matter of resource control. Ask our brodas and sistas in the niger delta and they will tell u that who ever owns the land where the resource is found is the owner of the oil or plantain. Im not a lawyer bur the little i know is that if ur neighbours property constitutes a nuisance to your property there is remedy in law for you. Bur have u thot of planting ur own plaintain tree in ur compound? If u got space u can try that option.

    Mr anonymous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We Don't have Space in our compound again! Well, my brother is a lawyer; they'll tell you equity only aids the vigilant and not those who slumber on their rights.

      Delete