Have you ever developed strong feelings for a guy/girl but you’ve never met him/her? Never talked to him/her on the phone? Never skyped with him/her?
Today we’ll be looking at online relationships. Materials / content are from the internet.
Wikipedia defines an online relationship as an interpersonal relationship between people who have met online and in many cases know each other only via the internet. This relationship can be romantic, platonic or even based on business affairs.
People no longer need to search on the street to find casual relationship, they can find them online.
An online relationship is tricky as it provides the opportunity for misrepresentation particularly in the early stages of a relationship when commitment is low and self representation and enhancement agenda are high but it isn’t impossible. By communicating regularly, being honest and making time to really get to know each other, an online relationship can grow.
When going into an online relationship, make sure to do the following.
- Make sure the site is legitimate
- Check the site’s privacy setting
- Protect your identity. Do not give your cell phone number till you feel completely comfortable
- Stay anonymous until you feel safe
- Trust your guts
- Never send money
- Avoid getting too personal too early
- Report threats to law enforcement
- Do set aside time each day to talk on the phone, email, skype or chat online with your partner and make sure it’s a time when you both will not be interrupted
- Don’t pretend to be someone you’re not just so the other person will like you more
- Do remember important dates in your new partner’s life, send ecards on birthdays and remember to congratulate them on important events like job promotion, football team’s win, etc
With time, relationships get boring, whether real or virtual, to stop an online relationship from being boring,
- Include each other in your day to day lives and activities as much as possible
- Make the conversation personal
- Be spontaneous and creative
- Be cautious
- Discuss the future
- Extravagant stories: eg am a model, a flight attendant and in medical school. Like seriously?
- Will never video chat: what are they afraid of?
- No updated pictures: same profile picture for a long time without changing it. Common! Is your face that bad?
- Limited number of pictures: you don’t have to beg before he/she sends pictures. Have you been dating and you’ve got just three pictures of your partner? That’s not good enough
- No phone calls: this is one of the red warning signs in a relationship, virtual or real. Why would my partner not want to hear my voice? Heaven knows I don’t hesitate to call it quits once we start to have call issues
- Provide limited information: we are dating for deuces sake! I should know some vital things about you
- No key information; if you’re in a relationship and your partner is not giving up the goods on what fly really feels like, then it really isn’t a relationship
- Inconsistent stories: little inconsistencies can add up to lies!
Have you ever been in an online relationship or catfished in one?