Wednesday, 18 June 2014

Friends that leave without a word

Sometimes you notice a friend suddenly stops picking your calls, stops replying your sms and email. That’s the first sign that something is wrong with that friendship. When these signs are noticed, watch out.
When your messages aren’t replied, send a direct message indicating you are worried but be careful not to sound angry. You might just start an unnecessary fight. I’ve had people assume I was angry with them because I didn’t pick or return their calls but the truth is such period, I might have been going through a rough patch in my life and I didn’t want my friends interfering.
However, you need to check yourself because this could be a subtle sign. Have you snapped at your friend recently? Has your friend told you some things repeatedly but you kept doing it? Or did you cross the line while assuming everything will be better in time?
Not everyone will end a friendship dramatically. Some people simply walk away because they are tired of complaining. Others might have been building up resentment over time and have not openly expressed it. Some say nothing when they feel slighted while others just erupt.
In such situations, allow your friend to vent. Just hearing you hear them out will help diffuse the situation. When you and your friend have identified the situation, you can work through it. Then, make sure that you come up with a different way to communicate from that point forward, so that your friend will feel comfortable talking to you right away when there is an issue rather than pulling away.

22 comments:

  1. It has happened to me and I have done it too
    www.tosyne101.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am not really outspoken, I read ur blog every morning after my devotion and I do not comment. But I will be cheating myself today if I do not say this, you have a really nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I have been in this mess alot....I am soooo good at disappearing without a trace or warning....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *pulling ears* ernie don't try it with me oh

      Delete
    2. haha...no worries...**singing Shontelle - stuck with each other**

      Delete
  4. Amaka, it hurts so much when people leave without a word - I'm not going to lie to you. What I normally do is find out what went wrong in the first place, and I always apologise if I'm at fault. However, if the person is going through a rough patch, and wants to be left alone, I just let them be, and tell them that I will always be there if they need me. However, it is important to note that some people may not want to be friends with you anymore which hurts, but, that's life

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing article, and so well written! You have a great talent and way of communicating your ideas. I really need to snap out of my all-consuming, people-pleasing mind frame sometimes to remember that I'm a person, not just a shell or a mask that should constantly do what I think others desire for me to do.



    Gracias senorita :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweetheart you can't please everyone!

      Thanks for the kind words

      Delete
  6. Sometimes I've learnt that some people are only supposed to be in your life for a seson or two. I've learnt not to dwell on those who make the decision to walk out of my life, much less hassle that way. I'm now following you on Google Plus, I'd love it if you could follow me there too? http://louiseabenamensah.blogspot.co.uk/ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've really lost a lot of friends :( @amaka likes bringing back memories that aren't lovely.








    @iMannie_

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amaka baby, I have a problem keeping in touch too. It has not been easy running a blog with such an attitude. So I try as much as possible to say hello to all my friends at least twice a week. Thanks for this post. You the bestest online friend ever. Anyways,I nominated your blog for the liebster award *yaaay* please check it out.
    www.mylifeasmoby.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww thanks for the kind words.
      You should try to keep in touch ehn, it's very necessary. Thanks for nominating me

      Delete
  9. Amaka I'm so sorry. I was just too excited to link your blog that I forgot to check how many followers you have. I'm sorry. Just ignore the award thing. Please

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really great post in my ownrs case sometimes I try to ask the reason for the walk away

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's absolutely necessary to find out but am very guilty of not asking sha

      Delete
  11. So you walked away? Mtchww I couldn't care less! Lol that's my attitude. And I love it! I feel it's a lady's thing to worry about a friend who walked away. Duh #doctorbobby

    ReplyDelete