Friends with benefit I believe is as old as dating itself. Whilst there isn’t a strict ‘definition’ as to this concept as everybody defines what it means to them, I searched the internet and came up with close to ten definitions and am posting some.
- People in a casual sexual relationship. A physical and emotional relationship between two people who may have casual sex or a non sexual relationship without necessarily demanding or expecting the extra commitments of a more formal romantic relationship.
- A healthy, fun sexual relationship between two people until one falls for the other.
- A safe relationship that mimics a real partnership but is void or lacking jealousy(really?) and other such emotions that comes with a sexual relationship
- A physically involved relationship, where both partners enjoy some comforts of sitting on the fence between serious relationship and simple friendship
- Any relationship that can be categorized as being between friends and partners also referred to as more than friends
- Two friends with a very casual dating relationship. The benefits can be really good, long, flirty conversations, make out sessions with no commitment, sex with no commitment, etc
In the end, the basic thing is sex with no strings attached. A casual relationship may be part time, or for a limited time. It may or may not entail partner exclusivity. In each case, the relationship’s dominance in the lives of those involved is being voluntarily limited and there is usually a sense that the relationship is intended to endure only as long as both parties wish it to.
People go into this because they are commitment shy or they are fresh out of a relationship and are not ready to date anytime soon, some have hot friends they’ve got their eyes on and so many reasons I’ve heard about.
They say feelings won’t get involved but this is always nearly impossible as soon one partner catches feelings ,feelings that are hard to ignore and then wants something more that the initial friends with benefit.
Friends with benefits can be addictive but they don’t sustain and in the end, one person will definitely get hurt and that initial friendship will be lost, so what’s the point?
Eventually it gets to a point where one person falls in love, or isn’t feeling the sex no more etc and you know when you start a game with no rules, it’s really hard to go back and play by the rules.
So what happens after the friends with benefit phase?
Me I’ve refused to be the milk guys get for free instead of buying the cow.
P.S. Now that I successfully uploaded a picture yesterday I tried with this post and it was like memory low. Sigh