Virtually every day, we come across things that put pressure on us. It could be family life ( wake up by 4am, prepare breakfast, clean the house and still get to work by 7am. Shout out to all the mothers in the house), the office wahala, relationship, you name it, the concept of stress is familiar but I have good news for you! Stress can be managed. As usual I visited my good friend google and came up with the following tips. Enjoy
1. All office work ends in the office. Don’t take office work home biko. After working my ass off from 8 – 4pm, I can’t imagine me writing lesson note or lesson plan. The time meant for family shouldn’t be an extension of office hour
2. Exercise: exercise is one of the most effective stress relievers. Studies have shown that those who exercise regularly are in good shape and don’t have as many problems with stress that is because exercise releases endorphins, chemicals that promote good moods and positive thinking. Exercise also provides a good physical outlet for releasing the energy that stress builds up inside you.
3. Massage: massages can also significantly reduce stress by releasing tension in your muscles. Not only can a massage help with stress, it can help boost your immune system which may have been weakened by stress.
4. You don’t even have to go to the big massage parlours to get a massage, you can massage your hands, feet, face, arms, legs and shoulders yourself or get bobo to do it for you
5. Meditation: it is a useful method to relieve stress regardless of your belief. You can use your imaginations as a place of escape, think of a place where you felt relaxed, try to imagine the place in the greatest detail possible, etc
6. Avoid your stressors: stay away from what is stressing you. Infact this is the first step to relieving your stress
7. Reframe your problems: if it is an issue bugging you that is stressing you, you can change your perspective of it. Instead of focusing on the negatives and the problems, you can concentrate on the positives. Do your best to see things in a positive light
8. Be better organized: most times, the chief cause of stress arises from feeling overwhelmed. Use a planner to keep track of your “to do list”. You can buy sticky notes and write things to do in an organized manner stick them on the fridge, on the dressing table, above the wall on your desk and follow the schedule strictly.
9. Learn to say no: you cannot do everything you are asked to do, so why keep pretending that you can? Be assertive and learn to say no politely but firmly and always when you know there isn’t a chance at all that you’ll get the thing done.
10. Learn how to delegate: learn to let go by giving more credence to the abilities of others. Giving up tasks may seem stressful in theory, but will free up more personal time. Find reliable people In your life that you can trust with tasks that you are too stressed or anxious to manage
11. Listen to some music: music has shown to have a very strong effect on mood and mental state. Cal yourself down by listening to your favourite soothing music
12. Try out a new activity: learning a new activity forces your mind off your stressors, making it easier for you to relax