Thursday, 26 June 2014

Magun (thunderbolt)

Magun is a yoruba term for "don't climb". It is an invisible sign that tells not to have sexual relations with a woman. In Nigeria, particularly yoruba land, a woman laced with magun that indulges in adultery will die alongside her cheating partner and the death is usually a shameful one.
You might be wondering why am writing on this topic today but the truth is I am as curious about it as you are! Yes, in Africa, we are superstitious, we have voodoo, blah blah blah but is magun a myth foisted on us by nollywood? Why is it that it is only women that are laced with magun and not men? Does it mean that men have the right to cheat while women should remain docile and respecting?
Oh well if magun is real, I like the fact that it deters women from cheating but can there be a magun for men too?
The part I dont like about magun is that it has an incubation period and whether the woman cheats or not, she'll die eventually. Well maybe someday science would be able to explain this magun claims.

16 comments:

  1. I don't believe in this shii! Magun ko magun ni. Mtchewww










    @iMannie_

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen it happen but av heard real stories and I believe it's real especially amongst the wicked Yoruba iliterates who suspects that their wife is cheating. I don't really know if other tribes do that too tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think its only d yoruba tribe. Most tribes in Nigeria are quilty of this.








      @iMannie_

      Delete
  4. Mami...This rocks in Kenya alot!!!!....like men do it to our women alot....I think it only works for women....sometimes, even when the woman is stuck, the husband would come and start bargaining...like sometimes he may even ask the other man for more than 5k usd...sick!....(buh not sure the woman dies tho')...wadddup!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow wow so it happens in Kenya too? Now my grouse is why don't we have something similar for the Men?
      Am fine chiquita

      Delete
  5. Cos the society cheats women. Believing that men can go ahead with concubines but when a woman does same thing they frown at her. I think that orientation is what brought about the magun thing for women not men since they are allowed to cheat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Magun kor, climb it ni. Well I don't think it exists o. Or maybe it does but I just don't know. Only see it in Nigerian movies most especially the yoruba movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lool my moby oh! I don't believe it too oh

      Delete
  7. Well, In AFRICA, everything is real, I so believe this stuff exists, and it always cracks me up when I see it in the movies lmao... The man in particular always dies like a chicken with all their mumu Nollywood effects, like backflips, fake convulsions et al, Nollywood Kwenu.... @Temi I think the orientation about Men wanting to protect their women isn't new. No man wants another man to share his woman, and sadly some men go that far #MagunThings. @Tibs they do it in Kenya??? Talk about Africa united... Lmao.

    @All, Men are men. we can cheat, but yet still love and respect our woman to death... But with Women, they only cheat when they have lost all respect and love for their man. So NO MAGUN FOR MEN. @Amaka, nice enlightening post as usual, I want to be like you when I grow up oh Bubba. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See this grown ass man oh!
      Well a woman might also cheat for the thrill of it

      Delete
    2. Yeah, you are totally right Bubba. But for a woman to cheat and cheat again without remorse, then her live and respect for her man must be on the decrease.

      Delete
    3. Sigh. I wish I could take a trip to their minds

      Delete