Sunday, 6 July 2014

Artificial sweeteners

I’ve kinda ignored what I spent 5 solid years studying in school. I remember all the swotting to become a qualified food technologist. Well, I’ve not forgotten my roots so once I a while, I’ll take you down the interesting maze of food science and technology.

So cupcakes today we are going to talk about artificial sweeteners. What are they? What are they used for? Are they better than natural sweeteners? Oya fasten your seat belts as we go on this maiden flight into our food world.

Artificial sweeteners are food additives and while some are gotten from natural sources, some are alcoholic derivatives of sugar obtained by chemical reduction of sugar to alcohol and they duplicate the effect of sugar in taste, usually with less food energy (calories)

Artificial sweeteners and other sugar substitutes are found in a variety of food and beverages marketed as “sugar free” or “diet” including soft drinks, chewing gum, baked goods, confectioneries etc.
The examples of these artificial sweeteners include stevia (erythritol), aspartame, saccharin (lactitol), splenda (mannitol, sorbitol, xylitol) etc

These artificial sweeteners have been said to be carcinogenic even though some researchers say that there is no scientific evidence that approved artificial sweeteners can cause cancer or other serious health problems but prevention is better than cure.

You see, the truth is sugar substitutes are calories free so they tend to mask calories present in the food or drink (i.e. the calorific value of the actual class of food and not sweetening agent).

Aspartame has also been said to cause hallucinations, brain tumour etc as it is broken down to form formaldehyde, the short term effects also include bloating and diarrhoea that is why sometimes when you eat orbit chewing gum for long, you’ll have diarrhoea, so cupcakes, instead of going the lane of artificial sweeteners, turn to natural sweeteners such as honey, molasses, date syrup and remember that Sugar free doesn’t always mean diet friendly.


In other news,  today is the birthday of one of my loyal but anonymous readers, doctor Bobby.  Today I'll confess; he is one of the few people I've  stalked consistently on the Internet and my joy knew no bound when he started visiting.  Sweetheart I wish you all the best thing life has to offer and I pray all your wishes will come true.  You'll be a shinning star among your peers..

Am  sending dozens of fresh red roses you way.
Happy birthday sugar.

21 comments:

  1. Kudos! Very enlightening a piece. Am gonna send this link to my friends who like to binge on killer drinks masqueraded as Diet This and That. As you put it, it berra to err on the side of caution than wait on conclusive scientific evidence. It may not seem bad today but could b worse tomorrow. Science as said it's not an exact discipline.

    Wish u all a splendid week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please send it to him ASAP. The effect builds up over time while we being oblivious to the dangers think we are on the safe side.
      Thanks dear

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate honey.. so how do I find "molasses and date syrup" to soak my garri,groundnut and milk with? I really want to quit sugar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honey is okay now except you are using the fake ones. Check shoprite

      Delete
  4. I don land here!
    Stop calling us cupcakes number 1, anyi adiro sweet biko!

    Nice piece by the way but...
    This is not the excitement you promised me amaka!
    Pepper is everywhere! Pepper the original has eyes on you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lool ok what were you expecting? Let me know ehn

      Delete
  5. Lol... Funny how the 'healthy replacements' turn out harmful and then gets replaced by some other seemingly healthy stuff that then goes blablabla and u know the rest. I think its best to just have lil of everything, lil sugar, lil honey, lil this, lil that shouldn't hurt. But then again, this is life and the dude aint fair, u'll never know what will hurt. okay now am just blabbing..... Nice piece, thanks 4 the info-timmy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sugar is the general name but sucrose the common table sugar isn't that bad if consumed moderately. The media sells these artificial sweeteners to us as healthy but trust me they are not

      Delete
  6. Sigh* everything I like seems to be bad :( :'(

    ReplyDelete
  7. ***clears throat** erhmmm ma'am...I have to take sugar..I mean I need to take sugar...I am saying I HAVE to have sugar everyday.....hehe...all my hyperactiveness is due to sugar...eh! Amaka do you want erniesha to be a dull chick??...eh yahmeh Mungu!...(that's God is swahili)..... ok no problem...henceforth no sugar..... **goes into hiding**

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nooo dear, sugar is fine but Splenda and the rest is bad

      Delete
  8. Chai! How person go do na..? Amaka I hope popcorn aint bad though *hoping it's not* ~ In other news thank you very much for the birthday wish... #doctorbobby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lool ok enjoy your pop corn. Hope you had fun though

      Delete
  9. Happy birthday #doctorbobby :D



    Me I like sweet things be it artificial or natural. Life aint bitter abeg.



    @iMannie_

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very informative, funny how i stick to my sugar but now use honey. They stay making everything look bad like what are then supposed to eat. Omo men moderation is the key.
    www.thatnigeriangirl.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is the reason why i prefer to dilute the regular coke or pepsi and take less quantity. All these diet stuff are not it at all.

    http://journalofapetitediva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hehehehhehehe I love Sugar so much that's why am Sucre' lolz we are very

    Happy birthday Dr Bobby thou its coming late.... Amaka dear I see your hand work..

    Steph SucrE

    ReplyDelete