Saturday, 5 July 2014

GRAMMAR 101

Most of us are fond of using the phrase “you people”, me inclusive. Sometimes last year, my aunt heard me refer to some group as “you people” and she sat me down and told me that she was once on an interview panel and a promising young man was interviewed, he performed excellently until he referred to the panel as “you people”, she said he lost the job! Imagine!!
“You people” is a derogatory, belittling, disparaging and dyslogistic term (don’t mind my plenty grammar oh) even though it could refer to members of a particular group, collective that is.
So I did my research and found out that “you people”  doesn’t sound polite, Infact in the US, this expression however intended by the speaker is interpreted as indicative of racism or of discrimination on an ethnic or religious basis . It is also said to be known as a racial epithet targeted at blacks only.
You see, you have to be careful of some of the old racist terms that we don’t know about. We often use some words without having the slightest idea that the words have such a bad connotation. I even found out that “you people” means “those of you who do not understand”. Can you see its debasing?
So my dear readers, language is constantly changing but grammar is still important. What you say and write is a projection of you in your physical absence.

P. S.  Where is yours truly,  Bobby,  petite diva, Cindy,  nonso?  You all should come out from where you've been hiding oh.

21 comments:

  1. Great piece. I love the expression used to convey this message.

    " A racial epithet targeted at Black's only."

    I love the writer for the constructs. I don't 'curr' about facts but just write in perfect English and I'd leave my brain for you to finger always.

    Happy weekend to " you people".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ake you're just impossible! Hian.
      Thanks for stopping by And thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  2. Oh Woow never knew
    www.Thatnigeriangirl.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lesson taught and learnt!
    By the way, I like your new template ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol Amaka its now 'you guys' I hear more..very informative!
    www.tosyne101.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say that a lot too *covers face* thanks tosin

      Delete
    2. This info is well recieved and will be put to good use. Thanks seyon.

      Delete
    3. Thanks the only sugar in my tea

      Delete
  5. Power of information, when you're informed you won't be deformed....... Ignorance is stronger and kills faster than sickness ooo....... Mehn. Amaka dalu

    ReplyDelete
  6. *sigh* It doesn't even sound right. Why any serious person should use that phrase in a formal setting is what I can't understand. It's high time people took grammar seriously. We don't research, we just conform. How sad! *sigh* Amaka good job sweedy #doctorbobby

    ReplyDelete
  7. Na wetin make me dey speak only pidgin English now cos person no fit fumble :D

    So wetin person go come use instead of 'you people'?

    :]y





    @iMannie_

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okies ma'am




    @iMannie_

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uhhhh...Tibs hate the 'you people' expression....Phew!...that's an automatic request for a bitchslap from my end..one request I won't hesitate to oblige ....hehe... to me..it's pure racist to say that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lool many people don't know though

      Delete