Saturday, 19 July 2014

GRAMMAR 101

English does not have a perfect regular system of spelling. I hear many funny pronunciations because sometimes we try to pronounce words the way they are spelt so we'll be looking at common examples today.
1. Ewe
Ewe is pronounced as "you"
2. Architect
Do not pronounce the "ch"  like the "ch"  in "church". It is pronounced like "k" as if the word were written "arkitect".
3. Available
The "ai"  here is pronounced like the "a"  of "state" not like the "a" of "back". The word should not be pronounced as if it were written "avallable".
4. Debt
The "b" is silent.  Pronounce the words as if it were written "dett"
5. Elite
This word has French origin and still keeps a French style of pronunciation. It should sound like "ayleet"  not like "eelight".
6. Legal
The first three letters are not pronounced like the word leg,  say the word as if it started with "lee".
7. Listen
Pronounce as if it were "lissen".  The "t"  is silent.  Other examples are fasten,  castle,  bustle.
8. Shepherd
"ph" is normally pronounced like "f"  in English,  but this word is pronounced as if it were "shepperd"  not as if it were "shefferd",  the "h" is silent.
9. Vehicle
The "h"  in the middle is silent.  Pronounce the word as if it were "veeicle".
10. Wednesday
Do not say the word "Wednesday" . The first "d"  is silent and the word is pronounced as if it were "wensday".

15 comments:

  1. Thanks Amaka for this lesson. Keep up the good work. You'l make a good teacher, u know. Ilove your blog. Nike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nike. Incidentally, I love teaching.
      Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  2. Oh mami.....I need to tell a colleague of mine bout #8....maybe he will stop spitting on me when he knows the right pronounciation....I mean why do I have to pay the price for his 'Grammar gone wrong' life mistakes....to him, dodgeball is dachball....grudge is groch.....and all the 'ch' comes with massive spray of saliva......if care isn't taken, you would even think he is saying crotch....**smh**....and to think I got a group meeting with him on monday....I will just carry an umbrella to save myself....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ctfu this is hilarious. If showing him will help, please do.

      Delete
    2. Hahahaha Mrs Tibs is soo funny. Lmao...
      #doctorbobby

      Delete
  3. It feels good to know there are people like me who like to teach.
    We actually teach not because we're perfect ourselves, but because uhmmm I don't even know why we do it lol... Ami do you know? Anyway keep up the good work dear...
    #doctorbobby

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do it because we love it. Thanks dear

    ReplyDelete
  5. #Noted





    @iMannie_

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks ma'am. Netty being really really bad here :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Babes I've been battling with network too oh.

      Delete
  7. Fasten! Been pronouncing it wrong all my life, shivers! And to think my dad's been teaching English for over thirty years! I dey disgrace the man. To be fair I don't use the word often. Thanks for the grammar lesson, I'm really enjoying going through your blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love teachers... Not just any teacher though, chubby ones. *ok bye*


    maturemindstalk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete