Saturday, 12 July 2014

The use of "I"


I is the ninth letter of the English alphabet and a vowel. It is also a personal pronoun and since it replaces our names in sentences, wherever “I” appears in our writing, it MUST be in capital letter.
This is one of the basic rules of grammar my English mistress in high school taught me, albeit with enough trashing, so always remember that the letter “I” must be in capital letter in all our writing when it is used as a personal pronoun.
                                I OR ME?
Most times, these two personal pronouns are used wrongly in which I is being used with another noun.
1. Always use the pronoun “I” along with other subjective pronouns such as we, he, she, you and they, when the pronoun is the subject of the verb.
Example: He ate my food
                  We waited for her
                   Ernie and I are having a drink
2. Use the pronoun “me” along with other objective pronouns such as us, him, her, you and them when the pronoun is the object of the verb
Example: Moby thanked them
                 The dog followed Mannie and me out
                  (Here Mannie forms the object of the verb followed)
3. Use the pronoun me, along with other objective pronouns such as us, him, her, you and them when the pronoun is the object of the preposition.
Example: Bobby spent the day with Nma and me
                 (here Nma forms the object of the preposition with)

                YOU AND I OR YOU AND ME?
Using both is correct. It only depends on the rest of the phrase (subject or object)
1. Temmy and I are eating. Temmy and I can be replaced with we.
2. Can you spot Tosin and me in this picture? This is correct because you could replace Temmy and me with us.

……………………………and that is it for today’s grammar lesson. I hope we have learnt something new.
Have a wonderful weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11 comments:

  1. Thanks Seyon for jogging my memory wit the Subjective and Objective Pronouns. You sure know the rules of Grammar. Its a tad confusing if u mix d rules wen it comes to using d subjective n objective pronouns. This lesson just cleared the occasional doubts in my mind.

    You all have a fab weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kehinde am still learning from the grand masters like you.
      Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to read my blog and comment.

      Delete
  2. Amaka thank you very much. And please keep it up... #doctorbobby

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with this post. Now we have this (GNS 201 or the Use of English, or communication...... Name it Lecturer in the House) Gracias lecturer.....






    #Lifesweet

    ReplyDelete
  4. The private jet is waiting for Amaka and Me!...Godwin and I are ballin'...Can you spot Moby and I in the sky??....Brad Pitt spent the day with Temmie and me...!!...**just so you know..I was laughing will typing all that...hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erhmm mami...I threw the award back your way....I just had to nominate you....I mean there was no way I couldn't.....hehe...

      Delete
    2. Lool, you're just naughty ernie

      Delete
  5. Hmmm! Jamb class. #Noted






    @iMannie_

    ReplyDelete