Thursday, 11 September 2014

Identity crisis


So you mean you are not igbo? Oh no! How can you be egun! Am used to the "ohs" and "ahs" that comes from people when I tell them am not igbo. Yeah, my mum is igbo, growing up I hated identifying with my father's tribe because of the stereotype that eguns were unintelligent, local, blah blah blah; I was quick to introduce myself as igbo, infact I took more delight in washing bitterleaf, pounding ede and banga than picking ewedu.
Going to the university changed it all for me; I became more self conscious and all. Now, am proud of my egun roots, well, I see my self more like a 100% Nigerian rather than a 50% egun, 50% igbo girl. Infact lemme type our(Hundeyin) oriki
Hunto Hanzi, whanga zou
Sato a wanno arowu ken poran du to
The whe mase whe
The whe gbeleto, gogu son sonvi
Ahoru wremegbe edo meta emi no gbo
Esa agutha ma blawu

Omo osa iba se bi okun
Ko ni jeki a mi
Eje ami eja a simi
Enia lonfidi enia bale
Omo ata arugbo meji legbeje
Ota eyeti ogbon
Ota eyeti kogbon
Ota won rairai soko
Omo okiki dode ijebu
Omi logbe nile alajogun
Kini onigba nta ti alawo koni

*fans self*
Now this is the part where my bragging right ends because I don't understand jack up there *covers face*
This was first published on the 18th of November 2013.
PS Ernie asked me to upload a video on our anniversary... Am really considering it anyway.

16 comments:

  1. First to comment, Amaka you cracked me up this morning. So nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look who visited today! Howdy?
      I hope you didn't attempt to pronounce or read that aloud though

      Delete
  2. Mami...I would just like to say...thank you for helping me bite my tongue this lovely evening.....hehe.....Mami...Nigerian or Bermudian...Tibs loves you dearly...and yihooo!!!...I wanna see a video mami!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lwkmd!!! Lool am so sorry honey. I shoulda included that you shouldn't attempt to read that aloud... And you know I love you too yeah ??

      Delete
  3. Lol! I used to admire the Egun people's language when I was in Badagry (NFLV, Ajara) in 2005. I support Tibs; we want a video. Nike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my so you were in French village??
      Thanks for visiting ma'am

      Delete
  4. wow the language is totally different

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I used to think You're ibo I was capital wrong.
    My dear I haven't got the chance to send U the mail cos I hardly visits a cafe here. But after our exams I'll do so.





    Jeezuz_Jaireh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mum is ibo. Please I need your number but I can wait. All the best in your papers

      Delete
  6. I already tried to pronounce it loud.
    Some of it sound yoruba. Abi I was imagining things ni.
    Anyway, your (We) BV's love you cos of who you are.Not cos of your tribe or language.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wasap my egun sister... I know I can't speak jack but I've never felt embarassed about being egun. When I ws in uni, I was collecting bursary of 25k cos I was egun..I was chilling na. But I bit my tongue trying to say our oriki o...mehn...not easy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I collected 30k oh. Well now I've gotten over the shame.

      Delete
  8. Hmmm Amaka and Moby are doing sometinz o now making me feel like y aren't I egun. So me sef go dey collect 35k bursary for uni.

    ReplyDelete