Wednesday, 17 September 2014

NIGERIANS AND KEEPING UP WITH THE JONESES

"Keeping up with the Joneses" is an idiom in many parts of the English-speaking world referring to the comparison to one's neighbor as a benchmark for social class or the accumulation of material goods. To fail to "keep up with the Joneses" is perceived as demonstrating socio-economic or cultural inferiority.(www.wikipedia.com) 
There are moments I hate being a Nigerian; moments when something new is trending and every tom, dick and harry in a bid to be seen as "trendy" starts the copy cat syndrome.
Once upon a time, it was the bikini pose. I don't know who started the trend but before we could say Jack Robinson, everybody started to outdo themselves to post bikini pictures albeit not flattering on social media channels. Even those whose tommy and boobs were already obeying the gravitational pull were happily flaunting bikini pictures.
Next was the make up free pictures. Damn! the types of not so flattering faces I saw eh! goddam!!!!I started to ask myself what the whole stupid make up free caption was about because in most cases, these babes still wore   foundation and lip gloss so one could only wonder what was make up free about their bleached and burnt faces.
This next one left my jaw dropping because some crop of entertainment people I never expected to do such were infact at the fore front; uploading of passports with hashtags like enroute dubai...like really????????????? Yeah yeah we know some of us can afford to globe trot now but abeg them dey lock gate to America? I think it is broke people that do such. Yeah, some of them may be wealthy now but remember, being wealthy is just a status that can change. The only thing that can never change is change itself.
The recent one is musicians giving out cash to promote their new singles or dance step. I think it started with one of my dimpled celebrity crush that gave $1000 or so and now it is like that is the in thing.
If that money is given to some less privileged kids out there is it not better than doling out such money to promote some songs that most times is meaningless and does not add value to the listener? but hey is it my money????

Uh, by now am sure we all know this is our blog and not my blog which means I take all of us to be family so here is it. One of my fave blogger, sister, friend, companion Ernie is under the weather and tell you what am scared stiff. I've been getting updates from her hubby and I was able to speak with her some hours ago too and boy I don't like the way she was sounding. Now, I want everyone of us to remember her in our prayers (not keyboard prayers oh) because nothing must happen to my sweetheart!!!!!!!!!!! Get well soon honey.........

P.S. Am returning to Sokoto on the 19th, it has been one helluva stay in Lagos but hey, am a survivor. I don't want to whine but I promise to try to update as often as I get access to an internet cafe.

32 comments:

  1. unfortunately we live in follow follow mentality world, people do things without using that thing we all have called a brain. get well tibbs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing will happen to her by the grace of God. I am keeping her in my prayers.
    19th is just a few days away. Have a safe trip/flight. Take care of yourself and be covered with the blood of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nigerians can copy ehnnn... there's nothing they don't overflog, good or bad
    Ernie is well IJN, I hope mini Ernie that is stressing her this way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mini Ernie isn't in the picture yet *winks*

      Delete
  4. You write well Sakey mi. "The only thing that can never change is change" Me likey!

    I believe Ernie is well now. How's she?

    Abeg I just shook my head for blogsposhere... amakamedia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *screaming* so I've been wondering who my sakey is and turns out it's amakamedia!!!! Oh my.
      Ernie is getting better. Thanks dear

      Delete
  5. Amaka My name isn't Uduak despite the fact that I'm an AkwaIbomite. My name is JAY.
    Come to think of the post, i think the word 'copy' doesn't play well. Why not say 'burrow' or 'Imitate' because Our celebrities both in gov't n other sectors generally carry out burrowed ideas here.







    Jeezuz_Jaireh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *slaps self* am so sorry JAY.
      God help us.

      Delete
  6. I pray Tibs gets well fast. I know she'll be fine in jesus name. So aunty is going back. That's how we didn't see. Diarisgod o.... diarisgod in everything we are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unfortunately, Nigeria is a society where keeping up with the Joneses is a must!!!!! Called Tibs the other day, and she was really poorly - Wishing her a speedy recovery - We love you, Tibs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear there are some of us who don't keep up oh*smiles*
      We blaze our trail

      Delete
  8. I think Nigerians are really finding it hard to be creative...... lol @"Even those whose tommy and boobs were already obeying the gravitational pull were happily flaunting bikini pictures"....MOMENT WITH ZOE

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hiya... my absence?? Blame it on Time management and Poor decision making :( First off, i have been trying to reach Ernie for GOD knows how long, i hope she is alright eh! I am glad that you have spoken to her, and I have her in my Prayers all time every time. Her absence has me feeling 1 kind shaaaa. You know how you feel when you are incomplete, like you left home without your phone.. Well I have been feeling that way :(. may GOD heal her and bring her back to us hail and healthy in Jesus Name. Amen.

    Bubba, i think its not an issue with Nigerians alone, i think its an issue with the world as a whole. You see mankind has always been this way, copying trends across boarders, and all. I for one accept this as a way of life, as if we dont ""keep up with the Jonses"", how can we grow? If we dont imitate the more enlightened ones, then we will be stuck in our current position. Think about it, Social media is keeping up wit the Jonses, so is Fashion, same with religion.. I believe its a way of life Bubba.

    P.S: goddamnbullshit, today is 19th September, wish you the very best trip ever bubba, please stay safe Amaka. Cheers xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah boo Ernie is fine eh! am sure you know I miss her like crazy too....
      well, I figured since I've lived in Nigeria only I should just write about what I know about so well but then like you said, it is not just in Nigeria people try to keep up with the Joneses.
      I really wrote this topic with the negative keeping up in view afterall hey, if we don't try to stay updated with modern trends then one thing is sure, we'll lag behind so I perfectly understand you eh.
      Thanks dearie, am trying to adjust with the new life I started.
      Amaka

      Delete
  10. Heaven knows that I've missed amaka. I've been so busy lately. Just hope sokoto doesn't keep u away :|

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwwww, Chuka i kept on delaying the call I was supposed to make..... i miss you too honey. amaka

      Delete
    2. Your line is still not reachable. I hope u're good tho? No saturday grammar class kwa?

      :*

      Delete
    3. I've not retrieved my mtn but the airtel is available. Am very good dear.

      Delete
    4. Too bad, I don't have ur airtel line ma'am.

      Delete
  11. LOL. You're so right. Most of our musicians ff d dress sense of d whites ignoring d fact DT we re Africans. Wearing see through dresses forgetting that they have some legacy to lay down for their kids and even the young ones watching 'em. Makes me wonder if our music videos won't end up being rated for 18yrs above.

    www.auspiciousdeb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. erm, it's quite unfortunate the situation we've found ourselves in. oh well, whatever rocks their boats

      Delete
  12. new layout!!! Refreshing:)
    How are you doing Amaka??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwwww you noticed!!!!
      Am doing very well, how about you?

      Delete
  13. i swear, or was the super man shirt, versace, blackberry phones now its iphone. omo men i just dont even give a shit. and am sorry about your friend i will keep her in my prayers.
    www.thatnigeriangirl.net

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am such a bad girl. I didn't even know you were in Lagos. I am sorry. I would be checking up on you regularly. Nice blog layout.....Teach me how to make mine fine too. As for keeping up with the joneses, i don't even know who they are to keep up with them. I don't have time for all that.

    http://journalofapetitediva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete