Friday, 24 October 2014

Contentment

 
He that is down need fear no fall;
He that is low, no pride;
He that is humble ever shall
Have God to be his guide.
 
I am content with what I have,        
Little be it or much;
And, Lord, contentment still I crave,
Because thou savest such.
 
Fulness to such a burden is
That go on pilgrimage;        
Here little, and hereafter bliss,
Is best from age to age.(Words by John Bunyan)
 
This is one poem I grew up reciting; my father practically forced us to learn it and since then, it has stuck!

Asides sticking, contentment is one virtue I can boldly say I possess. Right from my growing up days, I hardly covet people's properties. During my university days, my friends used to nag me because I would not buy what others are buying especially for keeping up with the Joneses purpose.

What actually prompted this topic is the attitude of someone in my lodge; last week when the batch C coprs members passed out, she went to them and was begging them to give her their left over provisions, soap, even kerosene!!! When I heard it, I was mad because it is not like this girl is lacking oh!

Now, what is this contentment?
The free online dictionary defines it as "a state of happiness and satusfaction".
Contentment involves being happy with who you are and we all know in this world of today, many people are not happy with who they are. True or false?

Besides this contentment doesn't have to do with material possessions only, it also involves being content with who/what we are (I'm not saying you should be content with being at the bottom of the rung of the ladder oh!).

Anyway, I went on wikihow to get tips on how to be content and I came up with these:

1. Live in the present: the people who are the happiest with themselves are able to enjoy and embrace the present moment instead of being stuck in the past or obsessing over what the future will look like (thinking of the past can help you learn from your mistakes and thinking of the future can help you set goals and be a good long term planner though).

2. Be grateful for what you have: instead of focusing on all the things you do not have, or all the things you want, take a minute to think about how lucky you are compared to most people out there.

3. Appreciate the little things: be thankful for the air you breathe, the food that nourishes you, etc. Every little details in your life counts. Focus on those little things and be grateful that you are still alive.

4. Take time to reflect: a lot of people aren't content with their lives because they don't take the time to sit back and consider everything that's going on. Taking time to reflect is different from moping, over thinking or analyzing everything that went wrong.

5. Stop comparing yourself to others: you can't change what other people are doing and you'll never get anywhere if you compare yourself to others instead of thinking about your life on its own terms. You will always find someone who is happier, healthier, richer, prettier and just more together than you are but why look? There are always reasons to be jealous of others and reasons for others to be jealous of you. You'll do yourself a favour by stopping the comparison.

6. Fake it until you make it: Being upset and complaining to everyone in earshot about what problem you've got is guaranteed to make you feel worse.
Even if you're feeling down in the dumps, you shouldn't go around moping, complaining and telling your best friends how awful you feel and looking like you're about to cry. Instead, you should try to be extra cheerful, extra friendly and make an effort to talk to other people and make them laugh.

7. Remember that happiness is a choice: some people gauge happiness by having a successful career, luxurious car or a huge savings account. Happiness cannot be determined by the money you earn or even with material things. It is a choice that we are happy, despite what life may bring.

15 comments:

  1. Contentment is a virtue, Contentment is to refrain from coveting what others have. Contentment is a treasure which is inexhaustible.



    And first comment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya doing Godwin? Been long we saw you *in WC's voice*
      Like you rightly said, contentment. Is a virtue.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. 24 October 2014 14:39
    Wow! That corper of a girl must have killed every iota of shame in her! *sigh*

    I quite agree with you on the issue of contentment. However, I must quickly mention that some people have mistaken complacency for contentment causing them to become lackadaisical at the detriment of their future (Leaving them at the bottom of the rung of the ladder like you rightly said).

    I noticed there's a slight contradiction in the first point (I.e Living in the present). The words outside and inside of the bracket doen't seem to agree.
    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That girl is another thing oh.
      Oh well, I don't think they contradict; asking you to live in the present doesn't mean you should not take time to reminisce and see how your past mistakes can make you a better person.

      Delete
  3. Contentment.....I love the word......I learned that a long time ago...whatever I got - I got.....whatever I don't have - I don't bother.....That's something I learnt a while back....I apply to all areas of my life...**waves**

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being happy with yourself and where you are is all that matters

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Blog mother always says that a heart of gratitude opens up doors of opportunities. The thing about life is that no body will ever have all that he or she needs all the time, so all i suggest is that we be thankful for today, and ever hopeful for tomorrow. Cheers Bubba. Its nice to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the bible. Said "sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof'.
      Thanks for Staying!

      Delete
  6. Lol. The girl sef!
    Well, some people are just something else.
    My dad thought us contentment right from childhood and I'm glad I do not have oju kokoro over what I don't have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe, Vira if I download what I've seen in the name of nysc Ehn!
      Glad you're like me jare

      Delete
  7. The first one "Live for the present" is the problem with the world today. People keep hoarding wealth the future they can't see.

    ReplyDelete