Sunday, 19 October 2014

FAVOURITISM

Hello lovelies, trust y'all are having a swell sunday? Oh well, this topic has been on my mind for quite a while so here we are.


There are some things which are as old as the world itself though we like to think of them as recent.
Remember the story of Esau and Jacob in the bible? Okay, let me even go back; remember the story of Cain and Abel? God favoured the sacrifice(s) of Abel because it was more acceptable and jealousy crept in.

Fast forward to Esau and Jacob, when Isaac was about to die, he asked Esau to prepare his favourite meal so he could eat and bless him but his wife Rebecca heard and we know the rest of the story.

Now, I am the only girl of my mother, I have 2 brothers from my mother too. While growing up, I noticed that my mum tended towards my elder brother (the apple of her eyes as she calls him) while my dad tended towards me; my kid brother floated in between.

The memories I have of me as a kid is that of my mum yelling at me because I wouldn’t lift up a finger to assist with the house chores (I was damn spoilt!), my mum trashing the hell out of me while I was yelling back and telling her I would report to my dad *lool* meanwhile oh, the things I did and my mum labelled bad were labelled normal so long as it was done by my elder brother *frowning*

For a long time, there was this bad blood between us because I felt my mum did not love me, I told her anyway *shrugs* while my brother on the other hand felt that my dad did not love him.

Now, I am much older and I have come to realize that what is fair is not equal and what is equal is not fair.

Favouritism  exists everywhere even though parents try to pretend they love all their kids equally but it is there in the extra sparkle in their eyes when they talk to the kids.

While it might be hard to ask parents not to show favouritism (we all have that favourite friend, favourite skirt, etc), parents should be careful not to damage the self esteem of their kids especially the less advantaged one!

Your take?

26 comments:

  1. Favourism is kinda inevitable but the fact that one child is favoured doesnt mean the other isnt loved at all... Its a wonderful piece, dearie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for staying with me!
      It's hard to explain that to kids though.

      Delete
  2. I was never my mom or dad's favorite as a kid but its different now.

































    #Mαηηiε

    ReplyDelete
  3. Favouritism exists everywhere... I think we don't even know when it creeps in, it's just there
    Nice piece dear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My love we know! Itks very obvious, the extra twinkle in our parent's eyes, the praises we get, etc.
      Thanks hon!

      Delete
  4. Favouritism takes place in all activities in the sphere of life(family, workplace, school*even teachers have their favorite student*). The best thing our parents do is try to justify themselves by pleasing the kids generally but believe me they still have this soft spot for their favorite child.

    www.auspiciousdeb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said dear, we have our fave clothing items too.

      Delete
  5. Hiya mami....So favoritism huh??...Not my favorite word mehnnn....**shakes head**

    ReplyDelete
  6. Favoritism is normal, as long as there two things on ground.


    www.maturemindstalk.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normal? The definition of normal is relative you know.

      Delete
  7. Hmmmnn I know this sounds wrong yeah, but you are totally Right.. Favoritism as we know is a part of life, it cant be changed, nor stopped. However, some people deserve to be favored over others, cause some inevitably show more love and dedication to a person or a cause than another does, so in such events yeah, i think Favoritism is allowed. But that regardless, favoritism in my young and confused eyes is a guarantee for WAHALA.. as one (like you clearly) stated will always feel more cherished than the other. It is well oh... God go help us..

    This line caught me, and it had me thinking:

    ""what is fair is not equal and what is equal is not fair."" Cheers Bubba.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My brother was and is still the favorite, nothing he does is wrong. Maybe it is because he is a male. We all have the tendency to have favorite but when raising up kids I believe we need to reduce the way we show it. We need to be fair.

    I am glad you are able to blog in Sokoto. I was wondering what would happen if we could not get to read all your juicy posts for a year.

    Http://journalofapetitediva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe! Don't under rate Sokoto oh my dear.

      Delete
  9. Favoritism sucks..because it breaks relationships for life; when it comes to family affairs; it has to be handled with care. This article has just made think;it normal and its should be embraced .
    ririzmusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be embraaced with caution, I think that sounds better.

      Delete
  10. Duru! U said it all. Some ought to be favoured more than others. But parents should be careful as to how they favour their kids so they don't give room for hatred.








    #Jeezuz_Jaireh

    ReplyDelete
  11. Duru! U said it all. Some ought to be favoured more than others. But parents should be careful as to how they favour their kids so they don't give room for hatred.








    #Jeezuz_Jaireh

    ReplyDelete
  12. Duru! U said it all. Some ought to be favoured more than others. But parents should be careful as to how they favour their kids so they don't give room for hatred.








    #Jeezuz_Jaireh

    ReplyDelete
  13. *sigh* Favouritism exists even amongst siblings! It happens consciously but mostly inadvertently.
    #doctorbobby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete