Friday, 31 October 2014

Mood swing.



Mood borders on how we feel at a particular point in time; you could be happy now, sad the next, anxious, nervous etc but in the end, these moods blend into one to make up an individual.
Moods canbe categorized broadly into two: the high and the low, every other mood comes under these two categories.

Mood swing is an sudden change in the way you feel, most times nothing triggers this change, other times it might be events and usually the mood swing is blown out of proportion.

Growing up, I had terrible mood swings! I would just wake up and decide not to greet anybody at home or talk to anybody and it wasn't really funny because my mother would start the whole"What type of child are you" yell. It was when I got to secondary school my friends kinda understood that I had mood and sometimes I needed to be left alone till I snapped out of whatever was bugging me.

Looking back at the years gone by, I laugh at those days because nobody seemed to understand that I was perfectly okay; now I hardly have mood swings, I've gone for several months without feeling like recoiling into my shell and I've come to realise that mood swing could border on depression or bipolar disorder so I googled tips on how to deal with mood swings.

1. Write down your feelings: writing down your feelings will help to calm you down.
I did that a lot, still do and when I go back to read what I wrote, it helps me avoid a repeat.

2. Read over what you have written, then think about what is making you angry: whatever it is, identifying it is the first step and after identification, you need to let go. Writing it down will help you analyze and be sure you are not transferring aggression.

3. Think better happier thoughts: always look at the bright side of life, every bit of happiness counts!

4. If it helps, talk to someone: remember a problem shared is half solved.

Remember, in the course of mood swing, you might have hurt people so do not forget to apologize and apologize like you mean it not grudgingly.

Ever had mood swing? How did you deal with it?
Post your thoughts away!

22 comments:

  1. Thank U Amaka for this post! I wanna know is it possible for Mood swings to last up to a full day?
    Cos it happens to Me occasionally n it lasts for a full day although I try to be alone.
    When ever My mood is bad, what I do is take a whole bottle of Carlo Rossi or Baron d Val alone alongside some suya n then I sleep off








    #Jeezuz_Jaireh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it is more than few hours then honey it is depression.

      Delete
  2. Hiya mamacita....Sooooo Tibs doesn't have mood swings cuz I am a naturally hyped person....I could get pissed buh not have mood swings....I noticed that once I got something bothering me, it sorta has a way of dampening the mood of those around me...sooo instead, I just get pissed and get over it....Howdy dudette!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your class (school) mates then would have thought you're an ogbanje. Lol

    Mood swing? Nay! I'm too optimistic, positive, and enthusiastic for that.

    It's mostly caused by depression, low self esteem, worries and the likes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lool! Yeah right
      I don't think low self esteem causes mood swing though.

      Delete
  4. My self esteem dey drag space for clouds, but I v days when I slip into bouts of depression... I've learnt not to sorta transfer the aggression to d people around sha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Esther! I don't need you depressed oh

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL. This is so me....Personally, i feel the relationship with the people you have around could also help deal with some crappy mood swings. That's why its best having one who understands you and knows how to handle you at that moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the importance of friendship cannot be overemphasized.

      Delete
  7. My roommate in the uni had major case of mood swing. In fact, hers was not only swinging. It su. Somersaulted and did backflips sef.

    I learnt to stay away till it goes...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually have mood swings and i noticed that they usually occur at a certain time of the month. I usually pray it away, watch movies or sleep. I think i would try some of the tips you wrote....

    http://journalofapetitediva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mood swings..feel like home to me..inspiring music/movies keeps me going when I want to feel inspired..sleeping works both ways..lifts my mood sometimes..other times completely destroys my mood if and when I sleep too much..nice blog

    http://melancholydarkness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you know what works for you. Off to your blog!

      Delete
  10. Mood wings eh! That's me but of course it doesn't last so long

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a friend with really bad mood swings.
    Me, mine are few and don't last, usually hormone-related.
    Music is how I deal

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me! Queen of mood swings. As early as a kid oh. My mum must have wondered how she got to have me as her first child.
    I cope better with it now sha. V written a post some weeks back on my temperament but yet to publish it. So watch out.

    ReplyDelete