Monday, 27 October 2014

Responsibility


Good morning lovelies...... I was thinking categorizing my posts would be a good idea and for Mondays, I'd be doing the character count series.

You may be wondering why I chose character; well, character is the very essence of a human being and it is one's moral compass by which we conduct our lives and actions.

Character evolves and it can be developed although it does not change quickly.

A person of character meets the demands of duty, is accountable, pursue excellence and exercises self control and the first topic we'll be considering in the series is responsibility.

The online dictionary defines responsibility as: re·spon·si·bil·i·ty/rəˌspänsəˈbilədē/ the state or fact of having a duty to deal with something or of having control over someone.

I remember when I was growing up and I was in care of my younger brother; I was to take care of him when my mother was not at home among other duties. Failure to perform them meant trashing for me.

When we became older, my mother assigned chores to all of us and it became my responsibility to mop the house and wash the toilet! Oh how I hated the chores and every saturday, I'll run away from home. Now my failure to clean meant the house will remain dirty and toilet unwashed. I always had ready excuses as to why the toilet was unwashed or the floor not mopped.

When I got into the university, I held several positions at the departmental level and students union government level and I made sure to carry out the responsibilities required of me even when some other excos decided to clearly abdicate their responsibilities afterall it was nobody's business.

I've done a couple of holiday jobs to understand the concept of responsiblity. Not to brag but everywhere I've worked, I make sure to carry out what is required of me and even more than because some people will be like I'm only here to teach, I'll just teach and get out forgetting that there are other things that can be done aside the main job that can earn them accolades, afterall money should not be our motivation always.

I've seen couple of trade blame games from people who instead of accepting responsilities for their actions put the blame on others and that to me is so immature because one of the hallmark of maturity for me is accepting responsibilities for your actions positive or negative so as you begin a new working week, know and define your responsibilities, carry them out and if you fail to carry any out due to omission or commission, accept the outcome.

Post your thoughts away!

20 comments:

  1. Taking responsibility is a part of me I'm still building in all facets of my life. But I've improved largely this year.































    #Mannie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Mannie.. Glad to know you accept responsibilities.
      Do have a great working week!

      Delete
  2. God help me this week to live up to my responsibilities. Its better assumed than delivered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen!
      Well said; these things are easier said than done.

      Delete
  3. Some people are born more prone to responsibility than others

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh..I don't think so dearie.
      Welcome here Ivy... I hope you've come to stay.

      Delete
  4. uh uh, this is a work in progress for me.....i'm loving this series

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm my dear, sometimes I wish I wasnt as responsible as I am. I have days when I just want to let my hair down and misbehave. But I cant. It sucks sometimes.
    May God help me to continue to grow responsibly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayyy vira is back!
      Babes you can let your hair down once in a while, I hope you know?

      Delete
  6. Sometimes I get so confused about this word 'responsibility' because when someone says to Me 'Jay its Ur responsibility to....' i just get lost. But thank U Amaka for this piece now I see responsibility as 'response to what matters' thanks alot...






    #Jeezuz_Jaireh

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was taught to always believe that he who is Faithful in little would become Faithful in much overtime. now something i am learning about life is that to whom much is given, much is also expected, so we all are at sometime or the other expected to step up to the platform called life and execute our tasks, cause being laid back never made anyman great. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bible said that...
      Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  8. Personally, i think responsibility tends to be widened when you get to a particular phase in your life.
    At a tender age, a young child would be reluctant to do his house chores et al but a phase would come when he knows that its his duty, if he doesn't do it, perhaps the chores would get piled up or thereabout. So i think at every stage of our life, we should be prepared for any form of responsibiltiy that awaits us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talking About chores, I never liked it; I still don't.

      Delete
    2. That's just the point my dear..."CHORES"

      Delete
  9. Wow! This is great, it terrific and it indeed a wonderful article...But i must say this, that RESPONSIBILITY give birth to Maturity, Maturity can be identify with the ability to accept responsibility. The ability here mark the difference between a childish individual and a matured ones...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my point! The hallmark of a responsible fellow is accepting responsibilities.

      Delete