Thursday, 30 October 2014

What is in a name?



Hiya doing lovelies? I'm excited that today is Thursday because my CDS is on thursday so I get that day off from work and what's more? Today is my first ever CDS (I'm in press club).

Erm, before I continue, I really want to appreciate everybody who visits this blog but seriously the comment box is meant to be used by you, yes you and it really pains me when I do not get to read from you via the comment section. Infact, any blogger that tells you that he/she does not care about comments is a big liar! I care sha oh, so biko I'd love to hear from you.

Now to the topic of the day.

The history of naming dates back to creation as recorded in the Bible (hello, I'm a christian). After God made everything, he named them....for easy identification.

So important is this activity that in Africa after the birth of the child, on the 7th or 8th day (depending on the sex), the naming ceremony is carried out admist pomp. Certain ingredients like honey, salt, alligator pepper etc are used to bless the new born and an identity is conferred on him/her in the form of a name.

In Africa, we have the tradition of naming after the condition suurrounding the birth of the infant. For example, a child who is born in the absence of its father in Yoruba land is christened "BIDEMI", a woman who is the only girl of her parents is likely to give her first daughter "MORENIKEJI" meaning 'I've seen a partner', etc.

Incredible as it may sound, I've heard of places/countries where some children do not have names *sigh* and right now, in the child right act, every child has the right to be named.

Talking about names, I remember in secondary school we used to be crazy about English names as we felt our local names were not funky/fly enough. Now brace up for this; my parents did not name me Patience, my original birth certificate(I have two) bears Hundeyin Seyon Chidinma but my other igbo name Ndidiamaka means "Patience is good" so I started to write Hundeyin Seyon Patience on my documents (I desperately wanted an English Name) and I did it up to when I wrote WAEC so I had no choice than to go and request for another birth certificate (of course I went alone) immediately after secondary school because the first ever admission I got didn't work out since the identities were conflicting, that's how Patience became my official name!!

While I strongly believe the main reason we are named is for identification, we should be careful about the names we give ourselves in a bid to look tush as some names mean not too encouraging things.
Check the following out:
Cecilia: Blind
Claudia: lame
Barbara:barbarian
Cameron: crooked nose
Brenda: smelly hair
Mallory: unlucky
Portia: pig
Emily: rival
Kennedy: misshapen head
Persephone: bringing death
Gideon: having a stump for a hand
Jacob/James: supplanter

Some other people are named after circumstances surrounding their birth eg Jabez in the bible(borne out of sorrow), children who are believed to be ogbanje or abiku are given names like Kokumo( don't die again), Malomo(don't go anytime soon), etc while children who look like their grandparents or are given birth to immediately after the death of their grandparents are named Babatunde/Yetunde meaning father/mother has come again.

I really love traditional names, check out the following:
Yoruba
Aarinola: the centre of wealth.
Adebanke: the crown helps to pamper me.
Mosunmola: I move close to wealth.
Oyinkansola: honey drips into wealth.

Igbo
Chidinma: God is good.
Kosisochukwu: will of God
Ifemelunamma: beautifully made.
Chukwunonso: God is near.
Chukwuemeka: Thank God.
Adadioranma: a female child is also good.

However, I've come across very funny names Nigerians bear especially people of the south south extraction eg:
Government
Fine country
Independence
LongJohn
Pickett
BoyLoaf
Manilla
Bluejack
Fineman
Horsfall
Hieneken
Etc

So what does your name mean? What is in a name?

22 comments:

  1. A name, we all know is a means of identity;
    to identify an individual with a particular
    society. Nigeria as a cultural entity has
    diverse ethnic groups with their own cultural
    identity. By their names, you can decipher the cultural background of a person. To me I prefer when people call me Uche cause a lot of don't believe I'm an Ibo guy. Uche is a Unisex igbo name which means core of ones emotions. Uche can also be used in other form like Uchechukwu, Gods will, Uchendu means thought of life. That's all I have to say.


    Amaka how are you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sneaking in and out again? I'm fine darling, how are you?
      Yeah, Nigerian names 'sell out' where One is from.
      Uche could mean sense too right?

      Delete
  2. Howdy mamacita....So my people attach VERY little to a name because they believe that once a child is old enough he/she should choose whatever name suits him/her......so sometimes..they just call a child anything...In my case...I dunno what my name means cuz I never bothered buh I do know that everyone called me my name in full...no one called me Ernie or Niesh..it was always Ernieshaaaaaaa....lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!! Different countries with different cultures.
      I like Ernie sha

      Delete
  3. very cool informative post, thanks for sharing.
    My name is very common Arabic/Islamic name: meaning "highly praised", which in turn implies "one who constantly thanks God".

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Holy Book according to Pro 22:1 then said "A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favor rather than silver and gold" and Ecc 7:1 also add it that, "A good name is better than precious ointment; and the day of death than the day of one's birth."...The name you chose to bear or grew up with it does matter a lots, Some people face seasonal illness base on the they bear...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously? Examples of such names please?

      Delete
  5. BOBBY
    1. "People with this name have a deep inner desire for a stable, loving family or community, and a need to work with others and to be appreciated."

    2. "People with this name tend to initiate events, to be leaders rather than followers, with powerful personalities. They tend to be focused on specific goals, experience a wealth of creative new ideas, and have the ability to implement these ideas
    with efficiency and determination. They tend to be courageous and sometimes aggressive. As unique, creative individuals, they tend to resent authority, and are sometimes stubborn, proud, and impatient."

    JUDE
    1. "People with this name have a deep inner desire to lead, organize, supervise, and to achieve status, power and wealth."

    2. "People with this name tend to be orderly and dedicated to building their lives on a solid foundation of order and service. They value truth, justice, and discipline, and may be quick-tempered with those who do not. Their practical nature makes them good at managing and saving money, and at building things in the material world. Because of their focus on order and practicality, they may seem overly cautious and conservative at times."
    Source: www.sheknows.com
    Native name: Ifeanyichukwu - Nothing is impossible with God.
    God bless my parents *smile*
    The importance of a name cannot be overemphasised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I like the fact that you took out time to explain the meaning of your names.
      Hiya?

      Delete
  6. Well, I don't really attach meanings to names. I still wonder how my parents didn't research enough to give me da name mannie :( :(. I bear all my names depending on the environment. For instance, most of my colleagues address me as chuka while my homies address me as mannie. I already have d names for my future daughters in my head.









































    #Mannie

    ReplyDelete
  7. My name is Esther Nnedinma Tochukwu Oluwadamilola...... Esther means STAR, Nnedinma means MOTHER IS BEAUTIFUL, Tochukwu means PRAISE GOD, Oluwadamilola means GOD GAVE ME WEALTH

    ReplyDelete
  8. This' not the height of famzing but i think we have same thing in common. I wrote something similar to this article some months back which i've not yet posted.
    I would avoid telling the stories behind my names,but i've always wanted to name my kids Ola.
    Ola has to be either a prefix or suffix in their names(i've got two names for my daughter already: arinola or adunola, i'm yet to figure out something for my son). Just as the yoruba proverb goes thus "oruko eyan maa nro yan" and its true. Some names tend to manifest its real self in our lives. Don't be surprised when you see that theree's something similar or almost the same about all Deborah's. That's because there's a force behind that name. As adults or prospective parents to be, we should ignore the posh names and be more concerned about the meaning behind every name.

    www.auspiciousdeb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What does Deborah mean self? I like Arinola though.

      Delete
  9. I love Kamsi, Chidera, Amara...
    Vira is short for Pwavira which literally means 'God gave me you'.
    Lovely post Amaka

    ReplyDelete