Duty is defined as
- A moral or legal obligation; a responsibility.
- A task or an action that someone is required to perform.
Th term duty is a verb and not a noun which implies that it is an action word and I'm sure we are no strangers to the term.
For something to be put into action, it must be acknowledged first, when you know what you are supposed to do and what is expected of you, you are on your way to becoming a person of character. Next is performing the duties.
Duty can be categorized into:
- Civic duty: This can be said to be something owed to one's country (patriotism) or to one's homeland or community. It also includes assisting victims of accident, voting, paying taxes, volunteering for public services etc.
- Filial duty: upholding family values, doing your share of the chores, obedience to elders, provision of basic needs for the children by the parents, etc
- Duties that arise as a result of one's job: Every job has its peculiarities and things expected from every level of workers from every level of workers from the lowest on the rung to the oga at the top (pun intended)
- Duties as a result of one's own moral expectations for oneself: All of us have aspirations to be the best but you cannot aspire to graduate with a first class and not do the needful! Having dreams is good but don't you know that faith without work is dead?
If you can't be a pine on the top of the hill
be the shrub in the valley but be the best little shrub by the side of the hill
be the bush if you cannot be the tree
if you can't be a bush be a bit of grass and some highway happier make
if you can't be a muskie then just be a bass
but be the liveliest bass in the lake
we can't all be captains, we've got to be crew
there is something for all of us
there is big work to do and there is lesser to do
and the task we must do is near
if you can't be a highway then just be a trail
if you can't be the sun, be a star
it isn't by size that you win or fail
be the best of whatever you are.
Thanks to google as usual for the help I got while putting this together, have a fabulous week!