Tuesday, 25 November 2014

RELIGION/DENOMINATION AS A BARRIER TO LOVE


bbc.co.uk defines religion as a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

It further explains some types of religion as thus:
  1. Atheism: Atheists are people who believe that god or gods are man made constructs.
  2. Baha'i: one of the youngest of the world's major religion.
  3. Buddhism: a way of living based on the teachings of Siddhartha Gautama.
  4. Candomble: a religion based on Afican beliefs, originating in Brazil.
  5. Christianity: the world's biggest faith, based on the teachings of Jesus Christ.
  6. Hinduism: a group of faiths rooted in the religious ideas of India.
  7. Islam: revealed in its final form by the prophet Muhammad.
  8. Jainism: an ancient philosophy and ethical teaching that originated in India.
  9. Jehovah's Witnesses: a christian based evangelistic religious movement.
  10. Judaism: based around the Jewish people's covenant relationship with God.
  11. Mormonism: The church of Jesus Christ of the Latter day saints.
  12. Paganism: contemporary religions usually based on reverence for nature.
  13. Rastafarism: a young religion founded in Jamaica in the 1930s.
  14. Santeria: Afro-Caribbean syncretic religion originating in Cuba.
  15. Shinto: Japanese folk tradition and ritual with no founder or single sacred scripture.
  16. Sikhism: The religion founded by Guru Nanak in India in the 15th century CE.
  17. Spiritualism: spiritualists believe in communication with the spirits of people who have died.
  18. Taoism: an ancient tradition of philosophy and belief rooted in Chinese worldview.
  19. Unitarianism: an open minded and individualistic approach to religion.
  20. Zoroastrianism: one of the oldest monotheistic faiths founded by the prophet Zoroaster.
I took my time to list the above to let us know when we say religion, we do not just mean Christianity  and Islam, there are other religions too, even within Christianity, we have different denominations, Islam too has two branches.

Now, I've dated from both sides of the divide and man it was not a smooth sail with either because even among Christians, we have intra faith conflicts; some worship on Saturday, others do so on Sunday, some do not believe in laying of hands, covering of hair, etc and that's just dating oh, now you wonder how it is when marriage which is supposed to be a life long relationship would be when the couples are of different faiths.

I often wonder why we fall in love at first knowing fully well that there are obstacles that might crop up later, I wonder if religion isn't involved in falling in love, why should it affect its outcome? but then we all know that love isn't always enough.

The truth is it becomes worse when you are a fanatic because the more fanatic you are about your religion, the more difficult it is for you to respect and accommodate the feelings of others but I feel that once the intending couple both confess Jesus as their Lord and saviour (pardon my sentiment) every other disagreement that might crop up as a result of doctrinal difference should be handled with wisdom. What I do not subscribe to is marrying someone who does not share your belief because when the kids come along, how will you train them? whose belief will they follow? how will you teach them unity when you are your spouse are not even united?

Agreeing on the same doctrine is crucial for a successful marriage.

Thoughts?

11 comments:

  1. First to comment!....lol...I mean, at some point I should be able to say that right?....hehe...mami...there is a guy in my department...That guy believes in almost any kinda religion....as long as there is a part of it that he relates to....I can't say he is confused cuz boy! That guy is intelligent...buh I think because people of these religions parade themselves as they are better than the others...I think that caused him to go into a fact-finding mission...mami...personally, I can't be with anyone who is not a christian...Yes!..I have been with atheists, Muslims and I got lots of buddies who are Buddhists buh mehnnnn....just as they can't relate to what my religion is bout is how I can't relate to theirs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Yeah first to comment *winks*
      Well said!

      Delete
  2. I don't think I can date someone from another religion other than Christianity. I don't know why, but I'm sure I can't cope with the stress of trying to adapt to the other religion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hun, even dating from your own religion has stress much more the flipside! How's you?

      Delete
  3. Hello Amaka - it's been a while. Well it depends on the individual and what matters to him. Some people do not take religion seriously while others are fanatics. If you strongly believe that having the same doctrine is crucial for a successful marriage, then marry someone who believes in what you believe. If not, do the opposite.

    Yes, people fall in love having a good knowledge and understanding of problems that might crop up later but they still go ahead. Call it stupidity or something else, but this thing called love is very very complicated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IMO I think we are the ones who makes it complicated.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I DONT BELIEVE IN RELIGION. I DONT THINK I EVER WILL BUT I CAN GET MARRIED TO ANY LADY FROM A DIFFERENT RELIGION. I NO SEND OO.






    HOW'S U @AMAKA












































    #MANNIE

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Fine oh! Btw, why are you yawning? *side eye*

      Delete