Saturday, 6 December 2014

GRAMMAR 101


Hello lovelies, I know it's been eons since we last had our grammar lessons.....let me not start by giving some excuses, in fact, I'm tired of saying sorry myself but thank God I've snapped out of what was on my mind and here we are.

Today we'll be looking at articles. There are two articles in English, the definite article (The) and the indefinite article (a or an) and articles are also known as determiners.

Generally, uncountable nouns must not be preceded by "a" or "an". Let us consider the following examples:

Advice
Wrong: Let me give you an advice, which you may not like to hear.
Correct: Let me give you some advice or a piece of advice, which you may not like to hear.

Note that some nouns can be either countable or uncountable, depending on the meaning. "Advice", for example is uncountable when it means "counsel" as in the example above, but countable when it means "formal notification" in a business context, for example:

The Manager received an advice from the Lagos branch.

Likewise "accommodation" us uncountable when it means "lodgings" but countable when it means "settlement", "compromise", in which case it can be preceded by "an".

Attention
Wrong: Mary needs a medical attention
Correct: Mary needs medical attention

Wrong: Please pay an attention to what I am saying.
Correct: Please pay attention to what I am saying.

Concern
Wrong: The news of the fighting causes us a great concern.
Correct: The news of the fighting causes us concern.

"Concern" cannot be preceded by "a" when it means "anxiety". It may be preceded by "a" when it means "business venture":

His timber company has at last become a great concern.

Harm
Wrong: Your arrogance will do a great harm to your cause.
Correct: Your arrogance will do great harm to your cause.

Hearsay
Wrong: Everyone is talking about their impending divorce, but to me it is all a hearsay.
Correct: Everyone is talking about their impending divorce, but to me it is all hearsay.

Weather
Wrong: Have you ever known a weather like this in December?
Correct: Have. You ever known weather like this in December?

Work
Wrong: She returned to university to do a research work.
Correct: She returned to university to do. Research work.

"Work" is not preceded by "a" when. It means "effort" or "paid employment". It is preceded by "a" when it means "something achieved":

This new play is a work of genius.

..........And that's it for today lovelies! Don't forget to comment and share. X

7 comments:

  1. I make these mistakes all the time...lolz
    English language is too cimplex and complicated jare...
    But this is a nice piece... Will help with those unconscious mistakes... You never know who might be reading things we write... Thanks for this amazing idea of a blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jesus Christ! I've been hoping that one day you'll visit my blog and viola! Here we are today.
      Thanks for stopping by hun!

      Delete
    2. I've been kicking myself for not visiting earlier... This here is a breath of fresh air - your blog... Trust me dear
      Your blog provides that those very important issues that are needed by young people... Even the old sef..lolz
      I love every posts.. From your Pre NYSC, NYSC and Post NYSC experiences, other personal experiences, those song lyrics(you're truly deep rooted in real good music o, for a lady your age), to your thoughts on random everyday issues... Beautifully written and very interesting.
      Keep it up dear... Please keep it up

      Delete
    3. I'm too happy to type something meaningful.......thanks for the kind words dearie. Chukwu gozie gi

      Delete