Saturday, 20 December 2014

Grammar 101

Good morning lovelies, last week we looked at "a" and "an" wrongly ommited with countable nouns. Today, we are taking our lessons on articles a step further by looking at "the" wrongly used.

"The" is a definite article and errors frequently occur where the definite article is concerned because most, if not all nouns must sometimes be preceded by the definite article and at other times must not. We'll run through this lesson this week and next week.

1. LOVE
WRONG: The love is a virtue few people really practise.
CORRECT: Love is a virtue few people really practise.

2. TRANSPORT
WRONG: We are neglecting the railways and spending too much on the road transport.
CORRECT: We are neglecting the railways and spending too much on road transport.

3. SOCIETY
WRONG: The society disapproves of those who do not respect its traditions.
CORRECT: Society disapproves of those who do not respect its tradition.

"The" can however be used with "society" when it has a capital "S" and means a professional body or a club, etc.

The Society will be obliged to you for your annual subscription.

4. DEFENCE
WRONG: The superpowers spend colossal sums of money on the defence.
CORRECT: The superpowers spend colossal sums of money on defence.

5. ADMINISTRATION
WRONG: I loathe the administration, I prefer teaching.
CORRECT: I loathe administration, I prefer teaching.

15 comments:

  1. Thanks Seyon. Can't wait to digest next week's diet. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Seyon. Can't wait to digest next week's diet. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its about time, everyone always on my neck anytime I correct them. They be like UCHE your 'ITK' is too much, most time I help wonder why english language is kinda difficult to them? Nne keep up the good work and for your home coming, I will write an article and send to you for review and you can post if you like.



    #are you game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we come from different background that's why they may not be as good as you are.
      I do grammar lessons every saturday so you can tell them to stay tunned and yes, send it to my mail.
      Bless

      Delete
  4. Abeg! Teacher I don't understand. Pls come again ma'am.












    #mannie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *brings out my cane* say what?

      Delete
    2. Hahahaha Teacher no bring your Cane o Lol

      Some student get level pass teacher

      Oya Mannie come take tutorial
      For my house

      Delete
    3. *side eye* which kind tutorial be that?

      Delete
  5. Who says I'm not enjoying the grammar 101, thanks Seyon

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are such a (good)teacher, even in your free time...
    !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaayyy! Clara visited!
      They say blacks don't blush but permit me to blush in my head ma'am.

      Delete
  7. Ghen ghen... Amaka toh Bad... inshort Amaka for Minister of communication. How was your trip back home Bubba?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ghen ghen!

      My trip no be here but thank God I'm in gidi chilling

      Delete