Saturday, 31 January 2015

GRAMMAR 101

A great morning to us all.... It's the last day of the month,  yup err,  well I know some of you are quite aware I've been complaining about being ill for a while (chill  I'm not pregnant yet) so yesterday I went to a shop to get something and as I was standing at the counter,  it was like all the witches in my village were pounding yam on my head,  I mean my head was literally breaking into two that was when I knew I had to go to the hospital. The only hospital I knew I was sure of was the teaching hospital but I remembered the pharmacy and labs are on strike so I just went to run a test in a private lab and took the result to UDUTH where my time was wasted before I was attended to.  Oh well,  my diagnosis is typhoid and malaria and I've been placed on medications; I may be down but I'm not out I'll do all I can to blog every other day.

So today,  who can remind us of what we studied in our grammar lessons last week?? *looks around* I think I'll start giving us assignments *eyeing Lohla*.

Without further ado,  today's lesson will be on NAMES AND SUNDRY ERRORS.
Once upon a time,  I didn't know the difference between my first name and last name and I'm sure many of us are still confused.com about it.

Your first name is your given name,  ie the name given to you on your naming ceremony aka your main name ,  your middle name is your other name ( I know some of us have 100 middle names) while your surname is your family name and it is also your last name that other extended family members share.

In the West (not Western Nigeria oh),  the surname is placed last.  In China  Korea,  and other East Asian countries, the surname is placed before a person's given name, in France,  Slovenia and Italy, for administrative purposes,  you are expected to put your surname before your first name.
In English I the common order is your first name, followed by your middle name and last name but when citing names in journal entries and academic publications, the order is changed to last name,  first name and middle name with a comma separating the last and first names.

In Nigeria, it is very common to see surname first on official documents but then,  if your surname is coming first,  it should be written thus: HUNDEYIN, SEYON PATIENCE (note the comma after my surname/last name) otherwise,  the correct way to write your name should be SEYON PATIENCE HUNDEYIN.
And that's it for today's lesson,  I hope we'll start writing our names correctly.

23 comments:

  1. Na me 1st reach class today. :D teacher Please ignore my pidgin ma'am.











    #Mannie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What??!! Pidgin in my class? Go and kneel down in the sun.

      Delete
  2. Well taught ma'am....I got used to writing my last name before my first name and I rarely write my middle name...so most times you'll see me write Olusanya OpeOluwa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was almost confused with first name and last name lol...

    Well we know in naija it's always "surname first" except you are filling an employment form and they ask for " firstname" first

    But I understand the comma better now,i guess I usually ignore it before now even though I have seen it severally in newspaper publications and all...

    Last class should be you taking my "THE" away hehehe

    Sorry about your health. The Lord is your strength

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chinco and her THE though.... Err
      Thanks dearie

      Delete
  4. Awww get well soon sugar. When I was still in Nigeria, I used to write my last name before my first name, but, now I write my first name first. So, if your last name is coming first, it should be accompanied by a comma? I didn't know that dear - thanks ever so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dearie.
      Yes, if the comma follows it then it's error free.

      Delete
  5. Why eye me lah what I do??? Don't worry eh Sean will handle my assignments hehehe.
    Comma after surname eh hmmmm I'm getting smarter by the second. I think you should just turn your everyday posts to lessons yeah? Yeah great :d

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean ke? That's cheating jor.
      Everyday? Hmmmm eventually it'll get boring don't you think so?

      Delete
    2. Its not cheating oh. Yeah true it could get boring. How u feeling now?

      Delete
    3. Yes I think you should turn your posts to lessons - has to be my favourite!

      Delete
    4. Obim, would think about that. Keep your fingers crossed.

      Delete
  6. Gehn gehn! No be small thing oh! Turn up Turn up ladies and gentlemen, Lecturer Amaka in teh building :D.. I think you have found your calling Bubba, All hail NYSC.. hehehehe Okay lemme not lie ehn, I had a mega confusion in my head about the difference between the First name and last name all the while, and lets just say that this "post toh sure" has helped clear my confusion on that subject.. I love the way you always drive your teachings so simply into some ones head, and how you teach on relevant subjects.. Its official Bubba, awaana be like thou when I grow up.. P.S: **In Falz teh Bad guys voice.. #ElloBae, how is your Bory bae, hope you are gerrin berra bae! be safe oh! Will call you once i can. Cheers Bubba. E-Hugs. Happy New month Bubba.

    ReplyDelete