Thursday, 26 February 2015

RULES

There is a popular saying that "where there is no law, there is no sin"... good morning lovelies, hope we are all doing great?

One of the requirements for a lawful and sane society is the presence of a code of conduct which we tag "rules". Right from the garden of Eden, God told Adam and Eve not to eat from the tree in the middle so you can see that rules aint new so to say.

I belong to the editorial and publicity group (EGG) CDS and we meet every Thursday. You see in  other CDS, you can wear khaki and shoe but in EPG, you are expected to be fully kitted yet I go to CDS and see people, not just people but graduates who were awarded certificates based on not just learning but character too wearing casual slippers or other colours and kinds of foot wear and I'm usually like why can't these people just obey the rules? Asides the fact that they do not get to flout any law, I feel there is this smartness dressing complete gives corps members.

Still on EPG during meetings, side talk is highly prohibited yet some people won't keep their mouth shut for the 1 hour we spend during meetings and seriously, it irks me!

The one that annoys me most is late coming. Choi!!! How I hate going late to places! You see, I had a teaching job prior to NYSC and members of staff were required to be at work before 7.30am but there was this particular girl that derived pleasure in coming by 8.00am (this is a single lady oh) and the HM would always complain and embarrass her yet she did not change, instead she told me she can not wake up later than 7am and I just swallowed my saliva (I do not waste my advise on some set of people) and eventually, she was sacked.

I've asked myself why people like to disobey rule, whether it gives them something similar to orgasm pleasures and I'm yet to understand. In Sokoto, bikes do not like to wait for traffic light to turn green before they move. In some parts, you see people driving one way and I'm like do they not have common sense to obey traffic rules? Anyhoo, common sense is not common really.

Now, we know that when Adam and Eve ate the fruit, they were cursed and driven out of the garden so for every rule that is broken, there is a reward.

In EPG, the fine for improper dressing, talking during meeting and late coming range from 20 - 100 naira yet people still indulge in them. Why?

In Nigeria, traffic offenders are punished although sometimes they bribe their way out and really that is why Nigeria is still in the doldrums.

So I'm asking, why do people flout rules even when they know they will be punished eventually?

12 comments:

  1. For people to obey laws there has to be order. Unfortunately Nigeria is the absolute antithesis of that. Our society tolerates disorder, inequality and injustice as though they are acts of God. The more powerful you are, the more you get away with. It isn't long before everyone else follows suit. And now it has become the norm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is the foundation is weak; we need to go to the grassroots to address this ill really.
      We can change the status quo if we do what is right in our corner.

      Delete
  2. You owe me an apology @cyclone cos you took my position.


















    #Mannie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please accept my sincerest apologies but if you snooze, you lose. But I'll just slip out of the closet (like R. Kelly) and quietly exit through the window, as I pull on my trousers. I was never here! (Looking left and right)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Naturally I don't like living/working by codes cos some doesn't make any sense to me. But punctuality isn't one of them and dress code too.























    #Mannie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ghen ghen

    This is naija and it's lawless so thatz why people do anyhow

    When I was going for cds as well, I usually tie my jacket round my waist, one day our dc coordinator seized it so since then, it's either I leave it@ home or dress properly

    Some many things are not right in Naija and thatz why we don't bother to obey rules cos we know money will resolve some or begging will.....

    And why people don't obey some rules especially harmless rules I really dunno cos we can't even say it's illiteracy again. In my office some people find it hard to wear their ID cards and I wonder why cos I don't think it hurts. Their matter just tire me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shouldn't join the band wagon because others are doing it though.
      The way people disrespect this khaki, hmmmm.

      Delete
  6. **covers face** Sis, I am so sorry I havent been here in a while...I am actually catching up on all the posts I missed....Hows mi sis doing??...**whispering** I know I owe you a call eh....**sigh** Okay! Rules...mami, **shakes head** Last year I got a total of 38 parking and traffic tickets....Yes!....this race drifting of mine doesn't help...I race like a dog on heat period...everytime Mofaya paid for a ticket, he would say 'Empress, please don't do this again...'....hehe Sucker!....I don't think breaking traffic rules count...**whispering** or do they??...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you sis.
      Hmmmm, they count oh *eyeing you*

      Delete