Saturday, 7 March 2015

GRAMMAR 101

Inakwana?? Yup, yup, means good morning.. You see lovelies, I'm perfecting my hausa everyday and I'm excited. Hope last night's turning up turned out fine?? (some simple tongue twister there). 



Today,  we'll be considering some words used interchangeably that are wrong. Really, I cringe when I hear people say them and for the next couple of weeks, we would trash them. 

1. Bowl and bowel. 

Bowl is a round deep dish used for food or liquid. 
Bowel is the part of the alimentary canal below the stomach ie the intestine. 

Please there is nothing like Pass me the bowel, the correct form is pass me the bowl. 

2. Afford and avoid. 
Now I don't know whether it is due to mother tongue interference that people use afford for avoid but for the purpose of clarity, note that they mean different things. 

Afford: To manage or bear without disadvantage or risk to one self (the context I'm referring to). 
Avoid: To keep away from or stop one self from doing something. 

So saying "I cannot avoid to lose"  is wrong,  the correct form is "I cannot afford to lose". 

3. Feasible and visible. 
*rubs palms together* This one though!! 

Feasible means something likely or probable. 
Visible means able to be seen or understood. 

This error is mostly made by yoruba people (no offence oh) and it grates on my ears when people say "it is not visible to fix a meeting for 6am" when they mean feasible

That's it for today lovelies. Hope we learnt something new?? 
Till our next class,  Besos. 

12 comments:

  1. I think it has to do with an individuals intonation tho. Beht y u come mention Yoruba naaa. Weldone o. Anyways how re u?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologized in advance nah, ahn ahn.
      I'm fine babes.

      Delete
  2. I cannot avoid oops sorry afford not to comment on this # shinesteeth.

    There's another one that kills me, I heard it a lot being that I schooled in lag. Saying "preyurr" instead of pressure. Kai I can't abeg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha you'll kneel down in the sun oh *bats eyelashes*
      I don't get why people talk with affectation though, I just can't deal

      Delete
    2. Hahahahahahaahahha you are so cheeky Lohla

      Delete
  3. Hmmmm!great class#shinesteeth#i need am shaaa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silly mistakes though

    Seen!!! Tank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. What about the way some say borrow when they mean lend. Or the way they pronounce fiancé. Or finance. Or director.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What about the way some say borrow when they mean lend. Or the way they pronounce fiancé. Or finance. Or director.

    ReplyDelete