Wednesday, 4 March 2015

Service to humanity

I remember the way I used to look at youth corps members as demi gods when I was in secondary school, I mean I couldn't just wait to wear that khaki but Unfortunately when I was mobilized due to some reasons the khaki was no longer "shacking" me but nonetheless, I made up my mind to serve dutifully wherever I was posted to so when I got the opportunity to help inaugurate press club in one of the secondary schools in Sokoto, I was more than willing to be part of the team. Hiya lovelies!!


We got into Shehu Shagari College of education staff school as early as 7am since the inauguration was going to be on the assembly ground and seeing the students file out and going through the routine of assembly took me back to my secondary school days and I had to admit within me that I miss my teenage days. 


After the national anthem we proceeded to the business of the day and I was so glad to see students ready to learn because the stereotype is that Northerners are dull but after testing one or two students, we went round the classes and the students were more than excited to be around us. 

Someone might be wondering why I'm reporting this,  well,  first, I'm more than excited about press club; I developed every writing skill I have today there. I remember I used to see my English mistress as mean and wicked but looking back,  I'm very grateful so I always strive to groom young talents the way someone guided me aright. 
Secondly, I'm a youth corps member and there are many projects you can engage in to impact your home community. Now this is not my personal project but I'm most grateful to volunteer my time. 
I know many corpers who call me names like ITK and ask me if NYSC is my father's property the way I always want to work in my cds,  well,  NYSC is not my father's property but I hate to be passive wherever I am. The truth is if you can't go the extra mile and participate in activities now that you're serving your father land,  when you start working you can't be dedicated then and like I say,  try to brighten up the corner where you are because I'm miles away from SSCOE staff school but the smiles on the faces of the students and the way they were asking "aunty when will you come back" is still lingering! 




P. S Today is one of my blogger friend's birthday, kindly click Here to wish her a happy birthday. 

16 comments:

  1. Wow! I was in press club too back then in secondary school. I didn't give up when I was in UNILAG as I joined campus express(kind of related to press club). I didn't just work as a team but I had opportunities. Sad
    To those people calling u ITK, they know Nada! When they get into the labour market, they'd realize most firms ignore the degree thingy n watch out for the experience you've got in ur CV. It worked for my friend who studied mathematic and right now he's more into the media.
    So my Darling amaka, keep it up bae. I won't mind switching to broadcasting tho if I have such oppurtunity (aside writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oya high five for you girl!
      I don't bother explaining to them again, I just tell them it's my life, my rules and hope they don't learn their lesson the hard way.
      Go for your passion babes!

      Delete
  2. I was too lazy for press club shaaa...was in social club...plus babe!who is the dude so close to you on the second picks!#straights_face#....i better not visit my babalawo friend o! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *bats eyelashes* visit him nah *flips weave and strolls out*

      Delete
  3. I was too lazy for press club shaaa...was in social club...plus babe!who is the dude so close to you on the second picks!#straights_face#....i better not visit my babalawo friend o! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea right! Memories!

    I was a member of the JET club back in secondary school. Press club wasnt something I really enjoyed.(na girls make me dey visit there.)

    Its a good job that you are doing cos I wasn't half as dedicated as you are while I was serving.
















    Ps: I can only post a comment on your blog thru the chrome browser. I'm still pondering why.






    #mannie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol yaf learnt bad thing tey tey sha *rme*
      I don't know why that is though and you're not the only one with that problem but I'll look into it.

      Delete
  5. Good for you girl. Glad you are enjoying yourself and doing something worthwhile....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwwwww omalicha corper - seems the guy in the first photo was checking you out lol. What if NYSC were our fathers property? Afo osisa sakwa fa ebe wo lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I don't know about that one oh!
      Nne the way people reason though!

      Delete
  7. People and bad belle sha. You do dem talk, you no do dem talk. Best to do what makes you happy and damn them all. Winchy winchy peeps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Otondo...I see you

    Been MIA for a while now. Had issues with my phone so I had to format it. Just found your link on YT's blog.

    Good to be back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed and I said if after today I don't hear from you, I'll fish out your email.
      Good to have you back.

      Delete