Tuesday, 24 November 2015

Hello, I'm Yoruba!!

Hiya lovies and dovies.. How is the week coming up?? Mine has been smooth so far, save for the terrible heat in Lagos.

So before I start, let me apologise to my Yoruba folks, please don't vexz with me ehn, as regards the title. Hope I've been forgiven in advance?? Kisses.

When I was much younger, I hated house chores, but I loved the broom. Not the tush broom oh,  I'm talking about the igbale made from palm frond. You know why I loved it??  If my brothers offended me,  I'll use it to whip them because it leaves marks on the body. One day,  my kid bro told me never to use it on him and when I asked,  he said his kokoro will reduce if I touch him with broom. Ha!!
I sha still used it on him and I'm sure his kokoro didn't reduce neither is it non functional.

What prompted this post?? I was walking the other day when two boys were playing and one took a broom to hit the other and the boy about to be hit said "I'm a Yoruba boy and you can't hit me with that". In my mind, I said what if it's used on an Ibo boy??

That is just one of the very many superstitious beliefs we were fed with as kids.
I remember my mum told me not to cross where bitterleaf water was poured as my peepee will pain me.
Another one that has been handed over the years is that if a male eats okra, it will reduce the thickness of their sperm. Plix any witness in the house??
I remember I grew tits as early as 9 and my friends used to put kuluso on theirs so it will come out,  I really can't remember if it worked or not.
Do you remember the rain is falling, sun is shining, lion is giving birth myth too?? Or the devil has eaten it story if your biscuit falls on the ground??
Let's discuss. 

25 comments:

  1. Hehe @i am Yoruba
    Thought ur name be Amaka sef
    Anyways the i remember is they'll say don't drink coke abi na fanta if you ate Coconut! Cos it will do something to u...i no remember what again sef
    And also don't take any drugs if u ate Coconut, cos it'll spoil the effectiveness of the drugs...dunno how true that one is sha

    Sassymumsblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello mum..
      My mum is Ibo hence my name but I'm not Yoruba either.
      I've not heard the coconut one oh, we that had coconut trees in our house, I chop bastard comot from coconut abeg.

      Delete
    2. Hahaha @chop bastard commot from coconut. Grew up in the East, so i heard it a lot.
      And It's said there are market days too when you don't dare enter the farm to work, like it's a taboo in the land. All these superstitous beliefs sef lol

      Sassymumsblog.blogspot.com

      Delete
    3. The only igbotic one is the bitter leaf water, biko is it true?
      I really didn't spend much time in the East as each time I visit, those mmuo must do something and I won't be able to walk freely.
      They still whip me when I went for hols in Sept.

      Delete
    4. She said after washing bitter leaf, and I pour the water away, I should not cross it as my peepee will pepper me.

      Delete
  2. All childhood myths I'm afraid, none of which is factual. But its fun growing up with such fun beliefs. I recall the Lion giving birth one, ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too. None is true mbok.
      Remember the lekeleke give me white fingers?

      Delete
  3. Hahahahaha how i was deprived of drinking coconut water so that i won't be dull in school.. Na wah





    Www.trendwithgloria.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!
      My mum drank coconut water when she was pregnant with my elder brother.
      On the contrary, coconut water is rich electrolytes and can be used in place of ORT.

      Delete
  4. Forgive me but amidst all this talk of superstition, I read something about a certain development at age 9. Age 9??? Please at what age did men start following you around? For the sake of not sounding like a perv, I will reserve other comments.

    Ehen, superstitions... I remember one about not jumping over someone's outstretched legs. Something about your unborn children looking like the person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Naija bachelor, I'm glad you visited the blog. Hope we'll see more of you subsequently??
      Don't worry, I no longer find it awkward talking about my growth sprout. I had them hovering around me quite early as I've always looked older than I really am but thankfully, I had digested "every woman" before I was ten so I knew everything to keep me in check.
      I've heard that one too.

      Delete
  5. When adding bitter leaf to ur pot of soup,you should not talk cos if you do,the soup will be very bitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lmaooooooo I remembered this bitter leaf might vividly from my grandmother. If it's true or not, I still have no idea. May she rest in peace.




      www.beinspiredwithmily.com

      Delete
  6. Lolz. Dey are so much, Dat I can't remember all.
    Back in d village, I was hushed at wen I wanted to sweep in d evening. We were told not to cos something about d spirits will do something shaa. I've forgotten sef.
    Yea, I know d coconut one. If u eat coconut and take drugs, d drugs won't work.
    U ain't supposed to work on d streets at a particular time in d afternoon.
    So many shaa. Superstitions sef.

    Pamscrib.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahahahah....it's believed kids shouldn't eat meat or egg in my place, as it will make them steal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lmaooooo!!!
      My mum's place, women don't eat gizzard and she was doing it till recently.
      Also, the drumsticks is for the men only.

      Delete
  8. Nice read...the one I recall is that someone who's on drugs/medication shouldn't take coconut.
    Nma's Blog 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the only one who doesn't know this

      Delete
  9. I remember the "Garri and Mango" myth. I rememberAnjonu. Etc

    ReplyDelete