Wednesday, 2 December 2015

Polite Expressions

The way this year is rolling by ehn!! Was it not yesterday I was rushing to go back to Sokoto and we were wishing ourselves happy new year?? And today is December 2nd already?? Hiya dovies?? Trust our week has been smooth.. Remember to say a prayer of gratitude to the Almighty  oh..

When I was growing up, I was stubborn with a capital S, sharp mouthed( I think it hasn't gotten blunt with age), disobedient etc etc and to crown it, I had issues with saying "I am sorry" and I didn't see it as an issue even though my mother used to point it out. Well, it took a while before I finally bent,but the truth is it doesn't cost anything to be polite. Simple things like failing to say I'm sorry has destroyed relationships and by relationships, I don't mean the romantic type only.
The following expressions should be part of our everyday register

  • Please: You use "please" when asking for something. Trust me, this word works magic, at least for me and children should be taught early in life to say "please" when asking for anything, however little. 
  • Thank you: This is used when someone does something for you or gives you something. Like #1,this habit should be inculcated even when you are given what is seemingly your right. 
  • You're welcome: This is the basic reply to "thank you". 
  • My pleasure: This is also used to show that you were happy to help someone 
  • Don't mention it: This is an informal reply to "thank you". 
  • Pardon me/ Excuse me: These two are used if you bump into someone or need to get someone's attention or if you want to ask for information. It is also the proper word to use when you didn't get what someone said clearly instead of saying "ehn" or "What?". 
  • I'm sorry to bother you: This is more polite than "pardon me" or "excuse me" and it is used only when you want to ask for information. 
  • I'm sorry: This is used when a mistake is made. 
  • Bless you: It is used after someone sneezes. 
  • Cheers: It is the expression used when making a toast. 
  • My condolences: It is used when somebody has suffered a death in the family. 
  • May I: It puts you on the same side as the person you are speaking to. 
  • I beg your pardon: When asking someone to repeat what they'd just said, "I beg your pardon"  is much more polite than "What". 
Click here for more on polite expressions while you can add more in the comment section or even try to use them in sentences. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to bother you Amaka,what gift am I getting from you this yule? Lol...thanks for sharing
    Nma's Blog 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm.. OK lemme think of something that will worth the season.

      Delete
  2. I hardly use the word "I am sorry "
    Lmao

    ReplyDelete