Tuesday, 15 December 2015

The 12 days of Christmas

Hiya doing?? It's how many days to Christmas now? 10 yeah? I'm still not smelling Christmas oh, the last time I tried to smell, I smelt flu and malaria ;-)
Anyways, you know that song we sang while growing up... One the first day of Christmas... How many of us can chant it without making mistakes?? Not to worry, I've dug out the lyrics and symbolic meaning of the song too.

HISTORY 
The twelve days of Christmas is a cumulative song, ie each verse is built on top of the previous verses. There are twelve verses, each describing a gift given by "my true love" on one of the twelve days of Christmas. It was published in England circa 1780.

The religious symbolism of the twelve days of Christmas. 

1 true love refers to God.
2 turtle doves refers to the old and new testaments.
3 French hens refers to faith, hope and charity, the theological values.
4 calling birds refers to the 4 gospels {Matthew, Mark, Luke and John}.
5 golden rings refers to the first five books of the old testaments, which gives the history of man's fall from grace {Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy}.
6 geese a laying refers to the six days of creation.
7 swans a swimming refers to the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit, the Holy Sacrament.
8 maids a milking refers to the eight beatitudes.
9 ladies dancing refers to the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit.
10 Lords a leaping refers to the ten commandments.
11 pipers piping refers to the eleven faithful apostles.
12 drummers drumming refers to the twelve points of doctrine in the Apostle's creed.

The lyrics. 

One the first day of Christmas
My true love sent to me
A partridge in a pear tree

One the second day of Christmas
My true love sent to me
Two turtle doves
And a partridge in a pear tree

On the third day of Christmas
My true love sent to me
Three French hen
Two turtle doves
And a partridge in a pear tree

On the fourth day of Christmas
My true love sent to me
Four calling birds
Three French hen
Two turtle doves
And a partridge in a pear tree

On the fifth day of Christmas
My true love sent to me
Five golden rings
Four calling birds
Three French hen
Two turtle doves
And a partridge in a pear tree

On the sixth day of Christmas
My true love sent to me
Six geese a laying
Five golden rings
Four calling birds
Three French hen
Two turtle doves
And a partridge in a pear tree

On the seventh day of Christmas
My true love sent to me
Seven swans a swimming
Six geese a laying
Five golden rings
Four calling birds
Three French hen
Two turtle doves
And a partridge in a pear tree

On the eighth day of Christmas
My true love sent to me
Eight maids a milking
Seven swans a swimming
Six geese a laying
Five golden rings
Four calling birds
Three French hen
Two turtle doves
And a partridge in a pear tree

On the ninth day of Christmas
My true love sent to me
Nine ladies dancing
Eight maids a milking
Seven swans a swimming
Six geese a laying
Five golden rings
Four calling birds
Three French hen
Two turtle doves
And a partridge in a pear tree

On the tenth day of Christmas
My true love sent to me
Ten Lords a leaping
Nine ladies dancing
Eight maids a milking
Seven swans a swimming
Six geese a laying
Five golden rings
Four calling birds
Three French hen
Two turtle doves
And a partridge in a pear tree

On the eleventh day of Christmas
My true love sent to me
Eleven pipers piping
Ten Lords a leaping
Nine ladies dancing
Eight maids a milking
Seven swans a swimming
Six geese a laying
Five golden rings
Four calling birds
Three French hen
Two turtle doves
And a partridge in a pear tree

On the twelfth day of Christmas
My true love sent to me
Twelve drummers drumming
Eleven pipers piping
Ten Lords a leaping
Nine ladies dancing
Eight maids a milking
Seven swans a swimming
Six geese a laying
five golden rings
Four calling birds
Three French hen
Two turtle doves
And a partridge in a pear tree

Additional information and images from Wikipedia
...... And in other news, lemme officially introduce you to Deb. The first call she made to me, she pranked me!! I'll do my own back oh.. So Deb is multitalented, she makes beads, she is a make up artiste, a blogger, I'm sure she bakes and sews too *bats eyelashes*.. In fact just click on her name to go to her blog. Gracias.

22 comments:

  1. Hello and thanks for sharing that, brings back memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really took out time to type this oo Amaka. Good job

    Sassymumsblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello mami!lemme disturb you small self

      Delete
  3. nice... we learn daily.... and thanx for sharing..

    leXHansplaCE

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my best carol song . even though I didn't know some of the words until now lol



    Www.trendwithgloria.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not smelling the christmas either

    Maybe na the part of naija [ Warri ] wey I dey

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didnt even know Christmas is next week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Didn't even know there was a thing as the symbolism of the twelve days of Christmas... Thanks for sharing.

    Egwumba’s Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow

    This is a real throwback. I love the 5 Gold Rings part.you remb when we take it during xmas and you wish your was 5 Gold rings.

    Never knew this was what they meant

    Chincobee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I literally chopped mouth while singing this back in the days..... Choi! I'm jes seeing this o. Hehe! Abeg! I don't bake and sew jor. Loool..... She's overhyped me sef. *coversface*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lmao but you know I typed the whole truth Deb

      Delete